Faster Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscott00

Here at my office we have a data center that houses several terabytes of information and at any given time we are transferring files to and from workstations and data center up to 15Gb in size.. All work stations are connected at 1Gb/s and we use Cat6 to connect to a switch that uses fiber optic to connect to the data center... It takes me over an hour to send a total of 30 Gigs worth of files and I want to know if theres anyway to solve this?? Any network equipment out there I dont know about???

What kind of switch do you have? At minimum, I would get a Gigabit switch with support for Jumbo Frames and a high-capacity backplane.

In addition, HDD speeds also matter. If you max out the transfer rate of an HDD in the chain, then you slow the entire process down.

If you can afford it, the fastest LAN transfer speeds can be provided by combining an Intel PRO 10GbE adapter with a Force10 S2410 switch. Combine that with some fast HDDs and your transfer speeds should speed up significantly.

right on! All network devices on the LAN need to be Gigabit (routers, switches) and stations should be 100mb configured with large frames and (google for) SackOpts

All devices are gigabit, the workstations connect at gigabit, to a gigabit switch (cisco i believe) that is connected to fiber optic thats connected to another switch in the data center.. The hard drives are brand new, top of the line - not sure of the speed, but those aren't the limiting factor here, because when people go home at night I can transfer a 50Gb file in just a couple minutes... The machines are mainly Dual processor.. the one we just got is a Dual Quad Core machine.. Im guessing its one of the switches that for some reason isnt doing its job..

hum; if you can track thruput from a constant source, one at a time to each of the
other systems, you see the path (or system) that is causing the delay.

*IF* you can get one FTPD (the ftp server code) on any single system, then
you can use the HASH command to print one # for eack 1024 bytes transferred;
the faster the better, slower being a problem path.

pick a constant file of a goodly size (on the server) for the test and then on each system; run->cmd
ftp server.ip-address
hash
get xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back