TechSpot

FBI arrests Russian man responsible for a third of spam

By Emil
Dec 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. The FBI has arrested Oleg Nikolaenko, who is allegedly behind the Mega-D botnet, which at one point accounted for nearly a third of all of the spam on the Internet. He was arrested in Las Vegas in early November while attending a car show, and was carrying $4,000 in cash. Nikolaenko worked with affiliates in several countries around the world to push products through spam, including fake watches and herbal supplements, according to JSOnline.

Read the whole story

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +530

besides the html coding issues on this post,

Does anyone else sense irony with this? A Russian involved with spam... XD

3. Yad

Yad TS Rookie Posts: 41

I heard same thing a few months ago and that guy had also 1/3 or 1/4 can't remember correctly.
    If this is another guy than 50% of spam is gone lol

4. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

If only that were true...
    What they have not said is the companies this man was working with are still sending out their spam emails. So all they have done is cut off a middle man...the beast still lives, and will continue living, because you cannot kill the internet anymore then you can kill a rainy day. Yes it will go away for a time...but it will come back...maybe even harder than last time.

5. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

They should also go after the physical infrastructure of these botnets like the actual networks and ISPs that are hosting them. Software-based countermeasures can only go so far. You have to take out the hardware too.

6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

why they said how much money he was carrying?
    Any way, hopefully this takes half of my usual spam

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Obvious imperialist lies. No doubt a sleeper agent planted by the CIA in order to ruin Russia's reputation.

8. peteyhawkins

peteyhawkins TS Rookie Posts: 19

Botnets cant just be taken away... they are run on our own infected computers.. and it is our own fault that spam can survive, people who don't run firewalls or download **** on the internet that gives them viruses and malware are responsible for spam... Obviously the person who creates this stuff in the first place is utterly responsible, but we need to do our best not to protect ourselves, but others as well.

9. fadownjoo

fadownjoo TS Rookie Posts: 50

US District Judge Philip Gutierrez berated prosecutors for half an hour over their conduct in the criminal case against Matthew Crippen, a California man who is charged with two counts of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for modding Xbox 360s. Update: "The government has decided to dismiss the indictment," prosecutor Allen Chiu told the judge shortly before the jury was to be seated on the third day of trial. If convicted, Crippen would have faced a maximum five years for each count.

Nikolaenko is being held in Wisconsin; he could face up to three years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted. The Russian has pleaded not guilt, according to Reuters.

....WTF

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,707   +1,887

The "11th Commandment"......., "Thou shall Not Spam".

In sort of delightful, (yet still unforgivable), irony, post #10 is in fact, >> SPAM <<..!

Judging by our "interloper's" name, the Chinese are responsible for the other 66%.

11. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

"(whom he called Docent)"

Any Russian reading this right now must be loling hard. :D

12. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,954   +162

If I was in prison I would shank him, fing spam!

13. Smojoe

Smojoe TS Rookie

my spam has gone down considerably. I have only one or two spam messages a day now, before December 1st I was getting about 33 spam messages a day and was considering the bold step of adopting a filter... there aren't a lot of natural remedies for spam so I was happy to read this here.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,707   +1,887

Very true, but some people are successful weaning themselves off it, by substituting either canadian bacon or breakfast sausage. :rolleyes: