TechSpot

FBI takes down $74 million scareware operation

By Emil
Jun 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Department of Justice, the FBI, and multiple international law enforcement partners, announced this week they have indicted two individuals from Latvia and seized more than 40 computers, servers, and…

Read the whole story

2. awww come on.....I make good money removing scareware for people :)

3. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 312   +13

I wonder if they seized the money too...

4. I am glad to see some of these people getting caught, they are leeches of society.

If you do get scareware, try Microsoft Safety Scanner, it's a free standalone .exe that I've had very good results with removing various types of malware such as scareware.

5. isamuelson

isamuelson TS Rookie Posts: 96

My father-in-law got hit with one of these and he didn't know any better. Took me hours to clean that crap off his PC. I then educated him on these scams.

Worse part was he already had McAfee installed and it got corrupted big time.

6. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Booster Posts: 371   +29

yup those pop ups of theirs are a pain to get rid of some times

7. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Me too! i've removed so many "Fake AV's" I've got it down to about 30 minutes. Oh well, now that those are gone time for something else to pop up.

8. hedoriko

hedoriko TS Rookie

WOOHOOOO I make good money on fixing people's computers, but WOOHOO!
    Maybe my mother will stop bringing me her computer with these viruses.

9. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

I KNOW, RIGHT!???

10. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Oh I know how this feels, too. Broke friends and family who expect it free... bah

11. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Thumbs up to the Feds ! They should continue going after these criminal syndicates on the Net.

12. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 925   +247

Todays society isn't very PC savy, many people don't know the difference between real anti-virus and fakes.

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,720   +63

Good I know 5 people who has had this program on there computer and I have removed it from a few family members computer including my own. Good job FBI

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.