TechSpot

FBI Wants Access to Xbox Live

By Julio Franco
Apr 5, 2004
  1. I was surprised when after reading this story I noticed the date wasn't set for April Fools' (first day of the month), these guys must be kidding though...

Today it was learned that the FBI has made a proposal to the FCC that would require all Internet Providers to rewire their current system in order to make wiretapping accessible to the FBI. Experts claim that if the new proposal were to pass, MSN Messenger, Xbox Live and any voice over Internet protocol would be accessible for wiretapping.

2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Thats BS. Better be BS too.

3. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 822

I love the FBI

4. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 467

there is a delicate balance between privacy and security. what a tough call.

5. OS samurai

OS samurai TS Rookie Posts: 193

Well stated BrownPaper, I agree

6. erickdj

erickdj TS Rookie Posts: 73

This is really getting out of hand, in the near future they will wiretap our brains. Screw this, by the time that happens I'll move somewhere else.

7. ak_in_charge

ak_in_charge TS Rookie Posts: 137

Oh that crazy FBI...what won't they do??

8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

If FBI gets that, then other bureaus in the world should get it too, Interpol and the like. FBI isn't superior to others as far as I know.

9. erickdj

erickdj TS Rookie Posts: 73

that's not quite true in practice Mictlantecuhtli, the FBI and the US government do whatever they like no matter what the rest of the world thinks or wants. Does Iraq serve as an example?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.