FCC asks FAA to relax in-flight device restrictions, study under way

By Rick
Dec 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Federal Communications Commission chairman Juluis Genachowski has asked the Federal Aviation Administration to consider relaxing its strict set of policies (pdf) prohibiting the in-flight use of certain portable electronics. Specifically, the FCC would like the FAA to, "enable greater use of...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,881   +351

Huh, thats a change, the FCC asking someone to be more lenient.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,330   +379

I'd prefer that keep it the same. Problem is, people just can't leave their precious electronic toys alone once they have them fired up. Hard to get in or out of your seat when some simpleton has the row blocked off with their laptop because they need "just a few more minutes," playing WoW, especially during embarking or leaving.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,809   +1,431

Maybe they could designate a specific area for those who would prefer this service out of courtesy for those who don't.
  5. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 694   +211

Wouldn't work - everyone would protest.

Jetliners, commuter trains and buses are among the few places that tablets actually make sense. As long as the cellular-equipped models also have "airplane mode" I don't see a problem.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,809   +1,431

Your probably right.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,043   +697

The biggest fans of this change would be flight attendents. Ask any flight attendent what the hardest part of their job is and there's a good chance they'll mention getting people to turn off their phones.

Best case of this I saw was a guy telling an attendent that his phone was off and getting angry that she wouldn't believe him. I glance over and his phone is in his shirt pocket glowing brightly.
  8. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

LOL - the inverse of the Dead Parrot sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE

"This phone is live!"
    "No it's not. It's dead. It's almost buried."
    "Not it's not - it's live, you can see the light!"
    "No you can't."

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.