TechSpot

FCC chief calls for formal net neutrality rules

By Jos
Sep 21, 2009
  1. The FCC has taken an important step today in helping keep the Internet open, announcing plans to formalize into law a set of broadband policy principles first unveiled in 2005. These include four separate principles which essentially say network operators cannot prevent users from accessing lawful Internet content, applications, and services of their choice, or prohibit them from attaching non-harmful devices to the network.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,388   +425

Is there really a need for this? It's not like we have enough government control as is and I don't see any of these activities on the Internet anyway.

3. Deathstar17

Deathstar17 TS Rookie Posts: 34

Well the only thing that has power over the telecoms is the gov't (the telecoms have backed the consumer into a corner with a club), so I see this as great news. Hurrah for something that actually benefits the consumer!

4. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 855   +11

My first thought is this looks pretty good. But I can't help getting the uneasy feeling that it will turn around and bite us......

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.