FCC chief outlines universal broadband proposal

By Jos
Oct 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The US communications regulator revealed a proposal yesterday for universal broadband coverage by the end of the decade. It is estimated that around 18 million Americans do not have access…

Read the whole story
  2. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 280

"But not everyone is convinced that the proposed plan is the best way forward. The American Cable Association says they are concerned that phone companies will get "first dibs" on the funding while other broadband providers like cable may have to wait a few years for the option to competitively bid to receive funding support"

READ: "How come they get to make all the money, and we don't?"

How about you shut your mouth, incumbent large cable company, and quit holding up the process?
  3. motrin

motrin TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154   +8

can I haz broadband?

I live, in the middle of nowhere
  4. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 942   +42

Agreed wholy. Rising costs to the consumer, the increasing limiting of bandwidth availability and service bubbling are only hurting the United States competitivity in broadband access and available speeds both internationally and domestically. Basically, it means stagnation for profits. =/
  5. If the bib bad cable company wants some money why don't they start installing cable to all those who want it. I have contacted cable and they do not have plans to put cable in my area. I guess a few thousand people is not enough to motivate them.
  6. war59312

war59312 TechSpot Member Posts: 67

What a joke. By broadband they mean a lousy "728kb/s or less" connection.

I don't what my taxes going to that ****. If it were 10mbps or faster than sure.
  7. Universal broadband??

So the USA is gonna pay and subsidise broadband connections all accross the globe!

SWEET! Im totally behind that idea!
  8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,284   +231

Wasn't that big wireless initiative supposed to take care of this, opening up all that vacated bandwidth that analog TV used to occupy for wireless internet connectivity everywhere for everyone? Shouldn't they maybe pump the money into that? Just sayin...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.