TechSpot

FCC plans to re-evaluate cell phone radiation safety standards

By Rick
Jun 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. According to Cnet, the FCC plans to re-examine its cellular phone safety standards -- a set of wireless safety guidelines chiseled out in 1996. The communications agency is expected to discuss its own testing methodologies and guidelines in order to…

Read more

2. Have to please the crazies

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Its still way too soon to rule out any risk to all these young kids using cell phones. You're rarely going to find a pre teen using a cell phone before 2000, so any actual studies are going to be 60-70 years away from being complete. The oldest studies have to do with grown men using cell phones, not kids.

4. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

I would like to see how much time people actually spend talking on their cellphones now as compared to maybe 10 years ago. Ive found that when I first got a cellphone it was almost exclusively held up to my ear as I talk to someone. Now however I'm almost using it exclusively for txt, email, or web browsing. So my cellphone rarely sees the side of my head which may render this whole "brain cancer" thing useless, or at least more useless than I imagine it already is.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a mean case of finger tip cancer though.

6. And what about multiple sclerosis or sterlity risks ? Cell phones and WIFI in general can be a serious threat to our health . It is a good thing having new standards.
    I only hope this will be a deep and independant research from market players.

7. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

"Cell phones and WIFI in general can be a serious threat to our health" - really? based on what information? Certainly not the results of the zillions of carefully conducted tests and studies!

8. And where did you read those "zillions of test" ???? C'mon how about a link?
    No? Right, go back to sleep *****.

9. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

Ironically I see no links in your original post claiming cellphones and wifi cause health problems. I would also like to mention that links do not prove anything (I don't have any links for that, sry.)

Also personal attacks are not generally welcome in te comments section, thanks.

10. The perpetual fear-mongering surrounding radiowaves (I.e.cellular phones, wifi etc.) really needs to stop.

Only Ionizing Radiation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation is harmful to living tissue.

Ionizing Radiation: cosmic rays, gamma rays, X-rays, neutrons, and in general all particles produced by radioactive decay and nuclear reactions

Non-ionizing Radiation: radiowaves, microwaves, infrared light, visible light, and most of the ultraviolet spectrum.

Unless smartphone manufacturers have started powering their phones with tiny nuclear reactors...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.