Fears over AI and job layoffs are driving tech execs to drugs and drinking

midian182

Staff member
In brief: It's no secret that the tech industry is one of the best-paying sectors in the job market, but with that lucrative paycheck comes fear of being laid off, long hours, and extreme pressures, and it's turning many executives to drink and drugs.

A survey of 500 tech execs (management level or above) by health company All Points North (APN) shows leaders are increasingly depressed and anxious about their future, and as such are turning to substance misuse and prescription drugs as coping mechanisms.

The tech industry has seen tens of thousands of people laid off this year as a result of the shaky economy and overhiring during the pandemic. Amazon alone has laid off over 20,000 workers

Almost 40% of survey participants have experienced increased anxiety and/or depression due to these layoffs, while 77% say they have negatively impacted their health.

The other big concern for tech execs is the rise of AI. Companies such as IBM have said they intend to stop hiring for jobs that could be performed by generative artificial intelligence, which is expected to impact 300 million full-time jobs globally. Almost two-thirds of participants say AI improvement and the thought of being replaced by a computer have negatively impacted their health, while 31% are worried an AI will take their job.

Nearly 80% of tech workers are using medications, either under a doctor's supervision or otherwise. 32% said they consume controlled substances to perform better and cope with long work hours and high stress: 45% use painkillers such as OxyContin, Vicodin, and Codeine; 34% use stimulants including amphetamines like Adderall; 36% use antidepressants; 35% use sleeping pills; and 26% use SSRIs.

Excessive alcohol use was also a common factor among participants. Half of them admitted to drinking 3 to 7 alcoholic drinks per day, qualifying them as heavy drinkers. Some said they consume alcohol or controlled substances just before or during work, while around 3 in 10 have increased their alcohol consumption due to stress regarding layoffs and AI.

"This industry fosters a fast-paced, ambitious environment and requires a unique approach to treatment. It's time for the tech industry to wake up and destigmatize substance issues so every employee feels comfortable seeking and receiving the support they desperately need," wrote APN.

Bloomberg's Billionaire Index shows that all but two of the richest individuals in the world come from the technology industry – they've also been making an average of $14 million per day over the past six months thanks to a broad market rally. But for many of those in everyday executive positions, the reality is a job filled with so much stress and worry that it can lead to prescription medication, alcohol, or drug use to cope.

Permalink to story.

Why do you need an excuse to take drugs?
Wake up, take drugs, enjoy life.
Seriously how else can you get thru the day knowing everyhing is so freaking pointless.
I bet those jobs are pretty pointless.
I bet those companies produce more crap, emissions, carbon, rubbish than tangible goods.
I'd bet my drugs on it.

I think that, those who promote heavily AI nowadays, especially without or disregarding any regulations, in the nearest future will be those who will be replaced by AI among the first. And it seems that the american dream is about to become a serial nightmare for them.

Last edited:
Why do you need an excuse to take drugs?
Wake up, take drugs, enjoy life.
Because drugs are addictive and destroy your life. From baking your brain on pot, to destroying your teeth through meth, and frying your brain on heroin. Drug use is discouraged for a reason, people have to come up with excuses because the alternative is admitting your are a hedonist who seeks immediate pleasure.
Seriously how else can you get thru the day knowing everyhing is so freaking pointless.
I bet those jobs are pretty pointless.
It helps if you are not a nihilist.
I bet those companies produce more crap, emissions, carbon, rubbish than tangible goods.
I'd bet my drugs on it.
Drug use has caused far more damage, vis the destruction of property caused by druggies and the families ripped apart by drug use over the years. It's a tragedy that has been allowed to go on for too long. The opioid epidemic alone has killed nearly a million since 1999, and affected tens of millions more. Need I go on about the cocaine epidemic, overprescribed SSRIs, ece?

They should also think about a lot of people simply stopping to buy the products.
Maybe, that should actually be their first concern.
Many more people simply buying the bare necessities, ignoring everything hard working AI has created, that is a thing to think about.

It just goes to show how clueless these Execs are that they think some heavy painkiller is actually going to solve their problem. Keep it up, buddy! I'm sure that'll keep your company afloat...
I suspect it shows more what a flawed study or analysis can be distorted to imply.

I'd be included in this percentage because I took painkillers as prescribed for several days after surgery. It had nothing to do with coping with work struggles.

I'd assume the "tech executives" group includes a skew towards middle age or older, with good paid insurance and ability to cover any out of pocket expenses, at which point people are more likely to have reason and ability to use the healthcare system.

Did they publish a comparison to any control groups?

I suspect it shows more what a flawed study or analysis can be distorted to imply.

I'd be included in this percentage because I took painkillers as prescribed for several days after surgery. It had nothing to do with coping with work struggles.

I'd assume the "tech executives" group includes a skew towards middle age or older, with good paid insurance and ability to cover any out of pocket expenses, at which point people are more likely to have reason and ability to use the healthcare system.

Did they publish a comparison to any control groups?
That's an excellent point. We'll likely never know the truth.

I always thought that corporate bigwigs snorting coke was their ticket to huge salaries and bonuses to begin with, no?

How else could you explain Elon Musk's recent decisions and behaviors? He can afford the good stuff. You know, the stuff not cut with baby laxative. That's likely the reason he's been so full of sh!t recently.

How 'bout if we let the Grateful dead explain it? "Speed bad, coke good".

Back