Fedora and its drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hi
Im going to install Fedora onto my laptop as i have windows on others and i havent used lynux yet so i though it would be...fun

But being a first time user i have a few queries...they have probably been asked before but hey ho

1 How do Dell PCs warm to Lynux? has anyone had any significant problems with anything hardware software wise

2 Some one else who has Fedora say there are some problems with some USB drivers. Can you get most drivers for Fedora? I'm mainly worrying about for example my integrated wireless card in the laptop and whether you can get some drivers for that to work

3 How can you tell what software will work on fedora and what wont work? do you need specific builds or can you update it so it recognises Windows stuff?

That i think is my main queries about the matter so i hope some one can help me...i'm still downloading it so I'm trying to find out now before its upon me....

Im going to install Fedora onto my laptop as i have windows on others and i havent used lynux yet so i though it would be...fun
3 How can you tell what software will work on fedora and what wont work? do you need specific builds or can you update it so it recognises Windows stuff?
Windows != Linux and Linux != Windows
( hint != reads "is not equal to")
Out of the box, the two systems are 'incompatible' and software from one will not run on the other.

That said, you can look for Windows Emulators (like Wine) to allow windows software to be run while booted into Linux.

See this article

I'm posting this from Fedora 10, not having any significant problems, but this isn't a Dell PC. I don't think they have much problems either.

Recent Linux kernels have pretty good support for wireless chipsets, it's likely that your laptop will connect out of the box.

you know i mean uninstall windows first and then install Fedora right? becuase i wasnt thinking of duel booting it so surely Feodra will work on the laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back