Few seconds (empty) in restarting Windows XP

dumna

Hi,when I restart PC after a shutdown, it starts O.K then the monitor shows nothing(black). then after few seconds it shows - windows is starting up -then it will run good..just that little gab between when it starts to windows is starting up.
Prior to this, I did disk clean, disk defrag. . any idea? Thanks

'It starts ok' ???

Showing what? This will often be the bios startup display. Then the screen goes blank and Windows starts up.

Sounds perfectly normal to me. The first thing after startup is not Windows, it is something else.

If it isn't, well I can't see it from here, so tell me what it is.

Few seconds empty in restarting window xp

When it restarts, the name of PC (compaq) appears and then( windows xp home edition), and looks like it is booting or loading, and for few seconds you see nothing on the monitor and then ( windows is starting up), then welcome etc. appear. I think it is normal, . It is an old pc I had not used for a long time, and it just did not seem normal.
Thank you very much. sorry if I caused an inconvenience.

It's just one of those things about Windows even with Windows 7 which is faster that XP. I have heard that Apple systems are ready to go pretty well immediately you switch them on but not Microsoft OSs.

Hi dumna, That sounds completely normal to me, and you say it is an old pc that you havn't used for some time, so if you have used a more modern pc, then the older one will seem to be much slower. It's called progress.
The black 'gaps' are when the pc is doing work in the background, and getting ready to load Windows.
Bear in mind that every extra thing you have plugged in, such as USB card reader, USB wireless dongle, etc, will all slow the start up time.

Back