File format *.CR2 (Canon camera) info please

By vizion
Mar 16, 2009
  1. Hi

Does anyone happen to have any techinical information on the *.CR2 file format used by canon on their high end digital cameras (in my case a 5D).

I have some corrupted files I need to restore if at all possible and need the file format specifications top build a recovery tool.

Thanks in advance

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Possible help
    More suggestions here:

I am not familiar with either of the recovery recommended sites.
  3. vizion

vizion TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Thanks for your help I had tried all the software referred to in the links to no avail.

The problem is that the files, after recovery, are corrupt. The softwares referred to in the links are all designed to be files recovery tools rather than file format analysis tools.

What I really need to is information about the *.CR2 file format so I can apply a file analysis tool to examine the files and determine where the corruption lies. Then I stand a chance of recovering the images.

The probem is all these proprietry file format cause no end of trouble.. !! If only the manufacturers like canon could understand that putting the info out there encourages use of their products!!

4. lclevy

lclevy TS Rookie and PhotoRec

you'll find CR2 info here:

and you'll a great file recovery tool called PhotoRec

sorry, i'm not allowed to post link

5. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 170

i've found a solution here:
    ZA Digital Image Recovery recovers Canon .CR2 files as TIFF. To open recovered files, Jeff used Photoshop CS "Open With" feature, which allows to specify image format override.
  6. Gossioii2

Gossioii2 TS Rookie

This is a great article

This is a great article. I’m new to blogging but still learning. Thanks for the great resource.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.