File Permissions

By TypeX45
Feb 6, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok I have a hard drive with alot of data from over the years, music, videos, etc.
    It was in a computer that was in a domain and had specific permisions to that domain. I removed it from the domain and placed it in a computer not in the domain and is a simple home computer. The permissions are still there and I can't access anything. I can't even change the the simple hidden attribute. So
    if any one knows how to remove these permissions I would appriciate it.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

chances are the files are either encrypted or encoded with a domain password or key. You will need to find out what it is to access it.
    or - download the files to a regular drive that was not on the domain. (that's probably an easier solution.)
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

As the administrator, take ownership of the files. Then remove any domain permissions (they are the ones with no user names displayed). Give any local permissions you like.
  4. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.