TechSpot

File: rundll32.exe deleted - How do I get it back?

By Tongan
Aug 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I try to use anything in control panel I get the error message: "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly..etc"

I have read countless forums of people with the same problem but nobody ever says how to get the file back.......
    I was wondering if there was somewhere to download this file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - This is for Windows XP SP2

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Run your Windows XP disk in repair mode from a cold boot.

3. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

To restore a System32 executable (eg: sndvol32.exe) to the C:\Windows\System32 folder:

From your hard drive:

Click Start, Run, type cmd and press enter

Type cd c:\windows\i386 and press enter (change directory {cd} to whatever path the i386 folder is in, which could be C:\Windows\Driver Cache)

Type expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe and press ENTER ( note space between .ex_ and c: )

From your cd/dvd:

Hold down the SHIFT key, insert your cd/dvd into the tray and close the door - when the blinking lights stop release the SHIFT key

Click Start, Run, type cmd and press enter

Type cd e:\i386 and press enter (change directory {cd} to whatever cd/dvd you have the disk in and whatever path the i386 folder is in)

Type expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe and press ENTER ( note space between .ex_ and c: )

edit: in case there is a problem using the foregoing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888017

4. Tongan

Tongan TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 76

I will go with the XP disk....
    thanks for all the help guys.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.