File sharing recognized as an official religion in Sweden

Shawn Knight

Staff member

File sharing has officially been recognized as a religion by the Swedish government agency Kammarkollegiet. The Church of Kopimism reportedly applied for religious status three times over the course of more than a year before finally succeeding just before Christmas, the group said in a recent statement.

The church, which holds CTRL+C and CTRL+V (keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste) as sacred symbols, was denied religious status twice before when authorities requested they formalize the way they pray or meditate. Followers of the church, known as Kopimists, now organize religious file-sharing ceremonies called “kopyactings” where members share information with each other.

"For the Church of Kopimism, information is holy and copying is a sacrament," the group said in a statement. "Information holds a value, in itself and in what it contains, and the value multiplies through copying. Therefore, copying is central for the organization and its members."

Despite their new religious recognition, it still remains illegal to share copyrighted material, TorrentFreak reports. The group’s leader hopes that their beliefs will be considered in future lawmaking.

The Church of Kopimism was founded in 2010 by philosophy student and spiritual leader Isak Gerson. At present, the group has over 3,000 members but that number is expected to surge based on media coverage of the story. As of writing, the official website for the Missionary Church of Kopimism redirects to a static page with a message indicating that they have been Slashdotted. Those interested in joining are asked to return in a few days once the media storm has passed.

Permalink to story.

Isn't that the same country that considers Star Wars a religion? Or was that some other European country.

QUICKLY, SOMEONE BRING THIS RELIGION TO THE U.S. , i cant wait for these copyright trolls to try shutting a religion down.

I know the average IQ in the US is lower then any generation in the last 2000 years but I didn't know this level of stupidity was reaching other Countries.

Actually this is quite smart, at leat if you are into sharing files. I doubt they did it because they belive in an almighty p2p being.

"The group?s leader hopes that their beliefs will be considered in future lawmaking"

"The church, which holds CTRL+C and CTRL+V (keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste) as sacred symbols."

What about CTRL+Z, CTRL+A and ALT+TAB? Pffff...

Tomorrow will see a news headline that reads "File sharing church in swedens records taken by the USA feds"

Silly silly posters. The reason they would make this a religion, is so they can't get attacked for sharing illegally at their "share" sessions as it's part of their mass.

"The only way to Heaven is through Bill "Pearly" Gates."

Haha nice call.

hello ...

humm, that's interesting, well then there must be a copy devil and a paste god ... want to meet them to check their papers! Anyone wants to start a new bible ?

Happy New Year to everyone...

cheers!

oh goodness !

Sodom and Gomorrah here we come.

and I thought that dude from Iran was kinda "funny".

One natural disaster coming your way.

not all religions have a god or devil... this is a religion that worships the power of knowledge something tangible yet at the same time immaterial in our world rather than beings we can barely conceive of let alone tangibly hold/see/obtain. it's a rather interesting approach and one i respect quite deeply

Ranger12 said:
Isn't that the same country that considers Star Wars a religion? Or was that some other European country.

I believe you are referring to the 2001 and 2011 UK population census that allowed people to enter "Jedi" as religion.

Back