File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvdy

Hi there.
In my flat we have a wireless network for sharing files and internet to everyone. But in my room i have a wired network to just share between my computers.
I have been wondering how to share files only throught the ethernet network and not throught the wireless. Does anyone know how to do this? I have one mac with OS X Leopard and one Windows XP computer

Thanks
Allan

yes it can be done; I've got three systems and rent two rooms and provide Internet access to the roomies.
I fully share my three and block everything else with this technique;
  1. you must control the ip address assignments;
    I like mapping the trusted systems MAC addresses into predetermined ip addresses.
    (you can also assign STATIC ip addresses, but still need [y] below)
    This allows my systems to have ip addresses like 192.168.0.2, 0.3, 0.4;
    [y] I then add (clone) 6 fake MAC addresses
    (take any known MAC copy it and just modify the last XX settings)
    to map ip assignments like 192.168.0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 0.10
    [y] which creates a range of trusted ip addresses (used in the firewall rules)
    of 192.168.0.1 ---> 192.168.0.10
  2. you have to have a better firewall than the default windows version
    (eg Comodo, SunBelt)
  3. enable sharing as normal
  4. allow port access for your trusted systems only
    (add a rule Allow i/o tcp/udp ports 135-139,445,631 source and dest ip range 192.168.x.1 -- 192.168.x.10)
  5. everything else will default to denied access
on [4] above, some firewalls have a means to define a trusted subnet which works well too.

monitor the firewall log for exceptions and you will see denied access entries for
192.168.x.11 and above.

Thanks for that Jobeard. Unfortunatly I do not have access to the ip address assignments. I found that if i just turned off File and Print Service sharing under the properties of the wireless connection it doesnt share anything out the wireless.
Thanks
Allan

need more than that -- go to the Windows Firewall and disable Print/File Sharing there too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back