File Sharing

By alvdy
Jun 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there.
    In my flat we have a wireless network for sharing files and internet to everyone. But in my room i have a wired network to just share between my computers.
    I have been wondering how to share files only throught the ethernet network and not throught the wireless. Does anyone know how to do this? I have one mac with OS X Leopard and one Windows XP computer

Thanks
    Allan
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,275   +280

yes it can be done; I've got three systems and rent two rooms and provide Internet access to the roomies.
    I fully share my three and block everything else with this technique;
    1. you must control the ip address assignments;
      I like mapping the trusted systems MAC addresses into predetermined ip addresses.
      (you can also assign STATIC ip addresses, but still need [y] below)
      This allows my systems to have ip addresses like 192.168.0.2, 0.3, 0.4;
      [y] I then add (clone) 6 fake MAC addresses
      (take any known MAC copy it and just modify the last XX settings)
      to map ip assignments like 192.168.0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 0.10
      [y] which creates a range of trusted ip addresses (used in the firewall rules)
      of 192.168.0.1 ---> 192.168.0.10
    2. you have to have a better firewall than the default windows version
      (eg Comodo, SunBelt)
    3. enable sharing as normal
    4. allow port access for your trusted systems only
      (add a rule Allow i/o tcp/udp ports 135-139,445,631 source and dest ip range 192.168.x.1 -- 192.168.x.10)
    5. everything else will default to denied access
    on [4] above, some firewalls have a means to define a trusted subnet which works well too.

monitor the firewall log for exceptions and you will see denied access entries for
    192.168.x.11 and above.
  3. alvdy

alvdy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 95

Thanks for that Jobeard. Unfortunatly I do not have access to the ip address assignments. I found that if i just turned off File and Print Service sharing under the properties of the wireless connection it doesnt share anything out the wireless.
    Thanks
    Allan
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,275   +280

need more than that -- go to the Windows Firewall and disable Print/File Sharing there too!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.