File sync over network to SDHC card

Wobwill

Hi,

running XP sp3 on both desktop and netbook. Zone Alarm firewall is on both machines, but has been configured to allow access each way.

I am using freefilesync and am trying to sync a folder and it's content (about 200mb) over my home network from the desktop PC to an SDHC card in the netbook card reader.

Whenever I run the sync it get an error message:

windows error message 5 access is denied.

I have googled, but don't know enough to separate what I need from the search results.

I have been able to copy and paste the folder and it's contents directly from the desktop to the netbook sdhc card, and appear to have read and write access each way.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Will

On the machine with the card, if you open My Computer, how does the SDHC card appear
or does it show up at all?

Hi Jobeard,

On the netbook the SDHC card appears in My Computer (under devices with removable storage) as Documents F: - this should be in brackets, but that makes a smiley.

If I remove the SDHC card and connect it directly to my desktop via usb I am able to sync the folder and it's contents to the card, and then see the contents on the netbook when I replace the SDHC card.

Thank you for your help.

Will

On the netbook the SDHC card appears in My Computer (under devices with removable storage) as Documents F: - this should be in brackets, but that makes a smiley.
We assume you have File Sharing active and have shared that device ---

Hi Jobeard

Yes, File and Print sharing is enabled on both machines. I've just gone through and double checked. All appears OK to me.

Is there something specific I should be doing over and above ticking the box 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks'?

Will.

yes, Share the device itself F

right click on the F : \Documents=>Properties->Sharing Tab

hi Jobeard

I can just take the card out and sync it using a USB connection to my PC.

However, it would be nice to know why I cannot use sync software to access the card when I have read and write permission from my desktop to my netbook and vice versa.

Will

I can just take the card out and sync it using a USB connection to my PC.
that can be a different path
However, it would be nice to know why I cannot use sync software to access the card when I have read and write permission from my desktop to my netbook and vice versa.

Will
of course that's the obvious question, but the solution is not always so obvious.

First, it you don't already have another shared folder, create on on C:\xxx and then share it. Put some pucture there and then access C:\xxx from the other system - - does that work? If not, you have a poor sharing configuration and we'll have to go thru all the steps.

Hi Jobeard,

I've been saying that I've got read and write permissions to the SDHC card from the desktop. I am sorry. I don't have write permissions. I am embarrassed.

I've just changed the permissions and it all works.

I am really sorry for wasting your time.

Without your help going through it I would still be struggling to know where I was going wrong.

Will.

:grin: AHH for the want of a nail the horse was lost ...

No biggie buddy, this stuff always needs a devils advocate to keep us all honest and to avoid assumption. Very glad for you that it's sorted out.

Back