File System Corrupt Under 7, Fine with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Does anyone know what would cause a file system error when running applications from 2 different OS's on the same drive? In other words, I'm trying to run some Steam games under 7 that were installed using XP. I have the reg settings all imported and Steam works fine but after a minute or so they all crash to desktop. I go into the Event Viewer and it states that the file system is corrupt. Even if i boot back into XP, chkdsk runs, but then the games work fine running in XP. Thoughts?

Likely to need a Win/7 specific copy of Steam.

Apps & Drivers are not generic and with Win/7 we must be far more careful on the compatibility issue.

well that's what's weird because when i first tried to run steam under 7 it needed to be patched in order to work, then it ran fine. it also continued to run fine under XP as well; all of the games ran without a hitch. i'm thinking now that it's the game's themselves using the same environment to launch under 7 or something, and that probably won't work like it does in XP. i guess i'm just gonna do some thorough browsing in steam forums and see what i find. thanks for the input.

Are you running Windows 7 Ultimate? In any case whichever version of Windows 7 your using try to disable the Sync Center Feature. And then move the bar to the left for the amount of storage is was using. Then delete the files off your system. Now uninstall that application then reboot and then run the registry cleaner of your choice on your 7 system. Now re-install the application with Admin rights. Note there are some DLL and drivers that works with XP but still won't work with 7 so be aware of that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back