File transfer help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMAbomb

hello,

well....is there a floppy disk that can save up to @ least 100mb that will fit a gateway windows 98 disk slot..if so..where can i get one and about how much would the disk cost :(

thx

You talking about the old Superdisk? Looks like a floppy, acts like a floppy, stores 100MB+? They'll be hard to find nowadays, if at all (try Ebay)
Or are you talking about the "fatter" floppies which are really ZIP-disks?
They come in different flavours, 100MB/250MB/750MB but are not interchangeable on all machines. IOMEGA makes them, are still for sale in most places. 100MB disk about $10.-

Have you considered a crossover network-cable? Needs a Network Interface Card (NIC) in each PC. Cards about $ 12.- ea. and cable about $7.-. The needed software is part of Windows.

Thanks again

Thank you for letting me know about the crossover network cable..i rather use that than transfer to floppy to computer to disk or whatever the guy at walmart was telling me to do..

nehoo..all i need is the NIC and crossover network cable..and then i'm set to transfer all my files from the old computer to the new..right!?

thx

cross-over cable question...

Hi

Okay..so now i have the pci ethernet card and i have the cross-over cable, but the crossover cable doesn't match the description on the link (Peer-to-Peer Local Networking Using CrossOver Cables) that you gave me..my cross-over cable is all orange as oppose to what is described on the Peer-to-Peer Local Networking Using CrossOver Cables page..one of their description of the cross-over network is orange and green..does it really make much of a difference..i was told that it didn't :eek:'

thanks,
sj

The color of the cable-sleeve itself is irrelevant.
Look at the two plugs on each end of that cable. Hold them together, with the same side up. If all the small wires in both plugs are in the SAME sequence, you have a straight cable. If they are different, then you have a crossover cable.

Okay..i checked and it's the right cable! so is inserting the card pretty simple or should i haul my hardrive to FRY's and let a professional handle that step?

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back