TechSpot

files are not opening

By mr hezloop
Mar 1, 2006
  1. hello all,im having some problems with opening files or programs on my pc.my pc is quite a good system.
    gigabyte GA-7N400 pro 2 motherboard
    +3200 athlon cpu
    1 gig ram
    geforce 5700 le (256) graphics card
    2 x 80 gig harddrives
    emu 0404 soundcard

the problems all started when i hooked up my pc to the internet.its a bit of a story so bare with me.ive recently moved to canada from the uk,i hooked my pc up to my girlfriends parents router.first i could'nt access the internet because internet explorer was provided by wannado so i uninstalled it and applied a new one from microsoft.the internet was working fine until i installed some new updates for internet explorer then i couldnt even get on to the net without it closing down within 2 minutes of entering.i uninstalled internet explorer again taking away the updates then reinstalling internet explorer.it then worked fine but it means i can't update it which does'nt bother me.then my computer starts to run a bit slower than normal.i do the usual 1.run my antivirus (nod32) 2.run ad aware 3.online virus check.all was ok, i finally defragmented my hard drive which solved the problem of a slow computer.i did all that yesterday but today when i click to open any program or file nothing happens and the only reason i was able to get online was that id left open a window yesterday to alow me to surf the net...
    ok i hope all that made sense,does anyone have any ideas?????
    thanks

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

With all that moving ,deletes, uninstall, installs.
    I would do some Disk maintainance; Delete temp IE cache ,temp files run a registry cleaner for unnecessry files, etc > Defrag the whole mess.
    If you don't get an improvement .
    Go thru a total bug scan , you know the main ones.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.