Final Fantasy 7 & ATI cards

XXX82XXX

Hi All,
I am running Final Fantasy 7 on my PC. It works fine but the pre-rendered backgrounds are rather pixelated. I tried to turn the catalyst AF feature on but it introduces graphical corruption. Is there any card that would work with this game with AF turned on? Would an old card solve my problem?
I do realise it is a very old game but I'd like to replay it. I have the PS 1 game and have used an emulator. However, I'd rather play the game under Windows if possible.
Any suggestions/solutions most welcome.

Windows 7 x64
ATI 5770
Catalyst 10.10

I've tried running this game with several cards on the PC and they all seem to introduce some sort of corruption when you turn on advanced features. I've used the following: 1950XT, 8800GT, 9800 GX2, 5970. The main thing that caused corruption for me was enabling AA and I found that different levels of AA changed the background corruption. I'm kind of hoping that Morphological AA might be a solution for this since it's such a low res game anyway.

Well, thanks for the information anyway. Pity as it a really good game. Would it help if I used an old CRT monitor? It's my understanding that they are less fussy in displaying low-res games, having no native resolution.
Thanks

If it's the same corruption I saw then that won't work either - I tried it. And btw, I tried Morphological AA two nights ago and that didn't fix anything either. :(

Hi guys,
Thanks anyway. It is the 'Smoothvision HD AA' which causes the problem. Anyway, I can live without AA. At least Final Fantasy VIII they did a better conversion job. I wish there were more Japanese RPGs released on the PC. I'm not going to going to buy a PS3/Xbox 360 just for that.
Cheers!

There is a high resolution patch for FF7. I used that and a few other patches (High Res Characters )(it's been a few years since and I don't remember which) and I was able to run lots of AA with few graphical problems. If you are going to tinker with it, make sure you have a backup of the game.. it can be somewhat of a challenge and some of the patches don't work nicely with the newer OS's...granted the game doesn't either.

Back