Final Fantasy XV Review

Julio Franco

Staff member

Let’s get this out of the way: Final Fantasy XV is a great video game. It steers the series in a promising new direction, reveals a spectacular new world, and introduces a combat system as satisfying as any I’ve played. For all of its warts and wrinkles—and there are quite a few warts and wrinkles—Final Fantasy XV is often a thing of beauty.

It’s also a drastic departure from previous games in the series. Longtime fans may wonder whether Final Fantasy XV truly feels like a Final Fantasy game. Well. Sure. FFXV has chocobos, Phoenix Downs, and two guys called Wedge and Biggs. It’s got crystals, summons, a fantastic soundtrack, a great villain, and loads of references to its predecessors. As for the rest of it? The only constant in Final Fantasy has always been that there are no constants, so the fifteenth game fits right in.

Read the complete review.

So the storytelling is poor and the mechanics are half baked, in a single player RPG?

That sounds like a good $10 bargain game.
So the combat is top-notch, the characters are fantastic, some of the best dungeons in JRPGs, and excellent music and graphics, in a single player RPG?

That sounds like a good full price game.

Great write-up! I'm glad they gave it to someone with such a long-running attachment to the series. I'm also glad that said attachment didn't turn into fanboyism, and you could be appropriately critical.

I was on the fence about this game before I read this review. I'm still on the fence.
You should read a couple more reviews. I highly suggest usgamer.net they had a good review and destructoid.com also had a great review.

I've never heard of that website, I'm guessing it's message is along the lines of your other comments. Bias and obviously not going to give a valid critique of the game.

Is there going to be a pc port?

The devs have showed interest in a port.

So the storytelling is poor and the mechanics are half baked, in a single player RPG?

That sounds like a good $10 bargain game.
So the combat is top-notch, the characters are fantastic, some of the best dungeons in JRPGs, and excellent music and graphics, in a single player RPG?

That sounds like a good full price game.

Final fantasy games haven't been RPGs ever since 13 released. They are more action first and maybe RPG as a sub genre, maybe. The RPG elements are only as deep as most phones games. FYI only the main group of guys are well fleshed out, many of the other character just aren't given the time they need.

And no, the graphics are most certainly not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcJx2EBJuUk

Things I would expect from Bethesda, like shadow flickering are obvious. Poor quality SSAO really hurts the lighting quality. The color palate is disappointingly shallow. It's about on par with FFX 13 on the consoles. The PS4 Pro version actually introduces more graphical issues.

The one thing you are right on is the soundtrack. Thank god FF almost always has a good soundtrack.

Back