Finally Bought my Secondary Computer, What to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

I bought it for 40bucks, its a Dell Desktop Dell Optiplex Intel celeron D 2.8ghz, one pciex1 slot, and 3 pci slots. 2GB of memory, Windows Pro edition(which i plan to install), 250Watts PSU(i am buying a 400watts Spare).

So i am curious what can i expect?
I am picking up the rig next monday :)

Also, what can i expect from that computer vs my Pentium III 600mhz?

I am just happy to have usb 2.0 lol. On my p3 i can use usb2.0, but it creates a massive botteneck, so i am stuck with 1.1, which is painfully slow. The new rig has 6 usb ports. I plan to buy a 4670 for it, as a backup radeon cad, and buy a 8600gt pci gddr3 as the main geforce card. I will let you guys know when i get the rig and set up everything.

Yeah, not bad at all. Seems to me it's a Celeron D 335 series. That one comes in LGA775 and S478 flavours, hopefully it's the former. Might allow for an upgrade in the future.

As for the 4670, it's a good mid-class card, I highly suggest it for the average gamer.

It seems like i have to buy this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200157

or look in the computer shop for a different rig that actually has x16 slots. The rig i bought has pcie 1.1. I plan to pick up this rig monday, but i am going to check out the rest of the rigs, its like 20 more which i did not look at.

I will update this thread Monday and let you know what i finally bought. All the rigs are 40-60bucks , so its really a good deal. And plus the owner doesn't even know what a video card is, yet alone a dual core or quad. He just has all types of stuff just laying around haha

The HD 4670 far outclasses an 8600GT. The GeForce card should be the backup IMO, with the Radeon being your main card.

It seems like i have to buy this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200157

or look in the computer shop for a different rig that actually has x16 slots. The rig i bought has pcie 1.1. I plan to pick up this rig monday, but i am going to check out the rest of the rigs, its like 20 more which i did not look at.

I will update this thread Monday and let you know what i finally bought. All the rigs are 40-60bucks , so its really a good deal. And plus the owner doesn't even know what a video card is, yet alone a dual core or quad. He just has all types of stuff just laying around haha

why would you buy a computer with only a PCIE x1 slot?

*shakes head*

omg, please dont get this guy started again....

Tha General its an ok deal for 40 dollars. You talk about bottlenecks in your old usb hubs, but you want to see bottlenecks try buying that converter and you just made your new card pointless. On the other hand you knew what to expect before you even posted. A 5 year/ 2 generation old pc. Have fun with your computer. WE dont care for your random updates. Post if you actually need help, not if you want to just let someone know you have it.

Not saying all post have to be bout "help" or needing it but I'm guessing you havnt kept up with the pci thread here much have you

He can post all he wishes I cant stop that. I'm sure he's happy with his rig but we'll see this thread go places...

I am picking the rig up monday, but i plan to look over the rest. So i will let everyone know what i officially get in a few days. The good thing about any of the rigs in his shop, they all are stock at 2.8ghz or 3.0ghz, and have up to 2gb or 4gb of memory. A better and more faster computer then my p3, with sse2 and sse3 extensions. So i am happy about. I am not looking for the best and greatest stuff, i like to buy whatever i like.

The only bad part, i never had a dell, so i hope it works out :)

I am online with my new rig:
CPUZINTEL.jpg

Gaming should be smooth :)

... First of all, celerons are not made really for gaming.
Second of all, what graphics card does it have?
RAM?

... First of all, celerons are not made really for gaming.
People said pentium 3's are really not made for gaming, and my pentium III' can run games like cod4 at max settings with aax2 and still get around 7-31fps. Not 7 at all times tho, so really between 16-31.

.Second of all, what graphics card does it have?
Right now, i am using my 2400HD. Wanted to see how well it perform on a better rig, but i am buying a 8600gt gddr3 pci soon, and a Diamond 4670 in the future.

Right now, 768. I am going to buy 2 sticks of 1gb ddr2 memory next week.

I have not tested any games yet, so i don't know how well they perform. But i am sure i will get a major boost vs my pentium 3/600mhz.

Even thought the Celeron is not really a gaming CPU as redk pointed out, it is still light-years ahead of your Pentium III. As for a video card, why bother with an 8600GT anyways? It would be best to directly get an HD 4670 innit?

omg, please dont get this guy started again....

Tha General its an ok deal for 40 dollars. You talk about bottlenecks in your old usb hubs, but you want to see bottlenecks try buying that converter and you just made your new card pointless. On the other hand you knew what to expect before you even posted. A 5 year/ 2 generation old pc. Have fun with your computer. WE dont care for your random updates. Post if you actually need help, not if you want to just let someone know you have it.

super chill out man, this is techspot, the place to talk about tech stuff. not all posts have to be asking for help

No Dustin, Supersmashbrada has a freaking point. We are in the new generation, so all we care is to helps people with their problems, not to listening about their cripes or achievements on older system.

If you really want to hear about the achievement, how about i tell you how good i have been taking care of my Acer Extensa 670CDT? No, you don't.
Sorry for saying it, but this went over the line a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back