finally got new HDD for my old computer

By msdstc
Aug 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now my question is how well will this old computer run games like hl2 and doom 3, if I got a new graphics card

its got a 1.8 ghz p4 processor, about 512 mb of ram and a voodoo graphics card... another question I can't identify this graphics card until I actually install the new hard drive how can I tell the cards specs?
  2. wirm

wirm Newcomer, in training Posts: 91

I believe Everest will tell you what kind of video card you have.

Go to the Download section of Techspot, and type Everest in the search.
  3. msdstc

msdstc Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 94

well I know that, but I can't get my computer on until I install the new Hard drive, and I was wondering if I could tell at startup or from just looking at the card.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

sure it will work. Most games are more dependant on graphics cards than the CPU. Doom 3 will run better with a better graphics card, but what you have will work ok in moderate settings.
  5. msdstc

msdstc Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 94

err... I get please insert system disk error now, anyone explain how to fix this.
  6. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

You need a Windows startup floppy or go into the BIOS and set it to boot from your Windows CD. A Radeon 9800 Pro should work really well in your system. Since RAM is so cheap you should also go up to 1 gig unless you have RDRAM.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.