Finding out service CPU usage

gamerex

On Windows 7 x64 with Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

A few days ago, my CPU fan began running loudly, indicating intensive processor usage even though I wasn't running any applications. I checked task manager, and behold, svchost.exe was using ~50% of my processor while my computer was idle.

I checked online, and I found that svchost is a simple proccess that hosts different services. This particular instance, using 50% of my idle processing power, is running:

• Windows Driver Foundation -User Mode Framework (wudfsvc)
  • Portable Device Enumerator Service (WPDBusEnum)
  • Diagnostic System Host (WdiSystemHost)
  • Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (UxSms)
  • Distributed Link Tracking Client (TrkWks)
  • Program Compatibility Assistant Service (PcaSvc)
  • Network Connections (Netman)
  • Homegroup Listener (HomeGroupListener)
  • Human Interface Device Access (hidserv)
  • Offline Files (CscService)
  • Windows Audio Endpoint Builder (AudioEndpointBuilder)

How do I find out which service is using all this processor power, and how do I stop it?

P.S. I do some singing, and a loud fan in the background ruins any recordings I make with my Yeti Microphone. When I run games or some processor-intensive application, the system allocates processor usage to the game and the svchost usage drops to 0%, so the service is only using my processor while it's idle. Still, that fan is loud!

Solved!

Solved! I used a simple troubleshooting procedure - Disable stuff until the problem stops.

Solution:
When I disabled the Distributed Link Tracking Client (DLTC), processor usage suddenly shifted to wmpnetwk.exe, the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (WMPNSS). Following the link's instructions, I disabled the WMPNSS in the services control panel, and behold, idle processor usage dropped to 0%!

Conclusion:
It seems Windows Media Player (WMP) was hooking on to the DLTC service, which was attached to that specific instance of svchost.exe. Disabling the DLTC service, WMP then switched file sharing to its backup service, WMPNSS. After disabling that, processor usage was down to idle, and the problem was solved. Enabling DLTC did not present any problems after WMPNSS was disabled.

Back