TechSpot

Finding RAM Type

By jamie2108
Mar 13, 2007
  1. im looking to buy another 1Gb stick of ram for my pc and i know there are differnt speeds ie PC4200 etc.

how do i find out which is for my pc?

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

www.crucial.com has a memory advisor, real simple to go through if you know your motherboard.

4. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

Download CPU-Z.

5. Tedster

crucial's memory advisior is not 100% accurate.

6. SNGX1275

Thats a bold statement to make without backing it up. I've seen Crucial advised many times on several forums and never once seen anyone say that it is unreliable.

If you mean unreliable as in it will tell you 5300 RAM when you really can only take advantage of 4600, then maybe, but if you click on show all it will show you all compatable the 4600 will be there. And that is even a stretch, because in the left column it will show you exactly what it can take maximum, and explain compatability.

I suggested using it because I have never heard of it telling someone they needed DDR2 when they needed DDR.

7. jamie2108

jamie2108 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

i used crucial and CPU-Z... both gave me a different answer.
    one told me PC2-4200 and the other said PC4200..... is there a difference between the 2?

8. Tedster

I have personnally seen it report erroneous information. I have an MSI K7N2 delta 2 platinum. It reported that my system only takes 333 when in fact it takes DDR 400 Ram. So yes - it is inaccurate. Why would anyone want to buy memory that does not maximize the capability of their system? Especially RAM. And we're not talking overclocking. We're talking stock speeds. The best advisor for anyone is to contact the motherboard manufactuer.

9. SNGX1275

10. virtualcowboypc

virtualcowboypc TS Rookie

I say contact me via yahoo, have a nice day

11. Tedster

that was my point. no offense taken! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.