Finding RAM Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie2108

im looking to buy another 1Gb stick of ram for my pc and i know there are differnt speeds ie PC4200 etc.

how do i find out which is for my pc?

Thats a bold statement to make without backing it up. I've seen Crucial advised many times on several forums and never once seen anyone say that it is unreliable.

If you mean unreliable as in it will tell you 5300 RAM when you really can only take advantage of 4600, then maybe, but if you click on show all it will show you all compatable the 4600 will be there. And that is even a stretch, because in the left column it will show you exactly what it can take maximum, and explain compatability.

I suggested using it because I have never heard of it telling someone they needed DDR2 when they needed DDR.

i used crucial and CPU-Z... both gave me a different answer.
one told me PC2-4200 and the other said PC4200..... is there a difference between the 2?

SNGX1275 said:
Thats a bold statement to make without backing it up. I've seen Crucial advised many times on several forums and never once seen anyone say that it is unreliable.

If you mean unreliable as in it will tell you 5300 RAM when you really can only take advantage of 4600, then maybe, but if you click on show all it will show you all compatable the 4600 will be there. And that is even a stretch, because in the left column it will show you exactly what it can take maximum, and explain compatability.

I suggested using it because I have never heard of it telling someone they needed DDR2 when they needed DDR.
I have personnally seen it report erroneous information. I have an MSI K7N2 delta 2 platinum. It reported that my system only takes 333 when in fact it takes DDR 400 Ram. So yes - it is inaccurate. Why would anyone want to buy memory that does not maximize the capability of their system? Especially RAM. And we're not talking overclocking. We're talking stock speeds. The best advisor for anyone is to contact the motherboard manufactuer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back