FireChat is the hyperlocal chat network that works without an Internet connection

By Shawn Knight
Mar 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. If the current crop of chat apps aren't to your liking, perhaps a new app out today called FireChat will suffice. The app is a hyperlocal chat network for iOS devices that functions even without an Internet connection, allowing users...

Read more
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

Am I reading that infographic correctly? It sends messages by relaying through random people along the direction of the destination person?
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,719   +873

It is a crazy and useless idea. Why would anyone in the bluetooth range want to text another person? Just talk to them in person... sheesh!
    Auth3ntic0 likes this.
  4. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 547   +8

I used to use a similar app on my old Sony Ericson Walkman back at school 6 years ago, took half an hour the get a stable connection and your so close to them in the end yes talking is easier anyway
  5. MannerMauler

MannerMauler TechSpot Member Posts: 24

So if you have 10 people, like say..., in a large room full of cubicles in a straight row a 100 ft apart you can get up to 1,200 ft coverage? no?
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

Now why would I want 6000 people burning up my battery life, because they can't stay off the send button?

Fail! Fail! Fail! And no but between.
  7. jsonUK

jsonUK Newcomer, in training

Could be useful if people were at an event/conference set in an underground bunker with no signal/connection...

But having a barrage of anonymous msgs, not worth reading, seems a bit pointless.
  8. Just a suggestion, when you write about a new app, piece of software, or company, can you please include a link to that company's website? Some would consider that good practice. I'd appreciate reading what they have to say about their own product.

Thanks.
  9. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 329   +56

Or you can use one of the available LAN chat programs and create a an ad-hoc network between the phones, or just have a random small wireless router and connect to it and use the program.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.