FireChat is the hyperlocal chat network that works without an Internet connection

Shawn Knight

Staff member

firechat ios hyperlocal anonymous chat network internet connection

If the current crop of chat apps aren’t to your liking, perhaps a new app out today called FireChat will suffice. The app is a hyperlocal chat network for iOS devices that functions even without an Internet connection, allowing users to send text messages and even photos to a group of users or just a single recipient.

The app uses the multipeer connectivity framework built within iOS 7 that allows enabled devices to communicate with each other vial mutlipeer-enabled services like Bluetooth, peer-to-peer connections and Wi-Fi. As it relies on these connectivity methods, the range of the network is only around 100 feet under a best-case scenario.

firechat ios hyperlocal anonymous chat network internet connection

As pointed out by TechCrunch, there have been similar apps in the past but they’ve all required users to be on the same wireless network. With FireChat, there’s also no need to log in or create an account so you can remain anonymous as you trash talk the opposing team during the next sporting event.

Sporting events are just one usage scenario as there are plenty of other venues that could be useful including conferences, conventions, outdoor festivals, classroom chats and perhaps even dating according to Open Garden CEO Micha Benoliel.

Because there’s no Android equivalent to multipeer, it was easier to build the app for iOS instead of trying to replicate the experience on Google’s mobile OS.

FireChat is available as of writing via the App Store and is available in English, Chinese and Japanese.

Permalink to story.

Am I reading that infographic correctly? It sends messages by relaying through random people along the direction of the destination person?

Am I reading that infographic correctly? It sends messages by relaying through random people along the direction of the destination person?
It is a crazy and useless idea. Why would anyone in the bluetooth range want to text another person? Just talk to them in person... sheesh!

I used to use a similar app on my old Sony Ericson Walkman back at school 6 years ago, took half an hour the get a stable connection and your so close to them in the end yes talking is easier anyway

So if you have 10 people, like say..., in a large room full of cubicles in a straight row a 100 ft apart you can get up to 1,200 ft coverage? no?

Now why would I want 6000 people burning up my battery life, because they can't stay off the send button?

Fail! Fail! Fail! And no but between.

Could be useful if people were at an event/conference set in an underground bunker with no signal/connection...

But having a barrage of anonymous msgs, not worth reading, seems a bit pointless.

Just a suggestion, when you write about a new app, piece of software, or company, can you please include a link to that company's website? Some would consider that good practice. I'd appreciate reading what they have to say about their own product.

Thanks.

Could be useful if people were at an event/conference set in an underground bunker with no signal/connection...

But having a barrage of anonymous msgs, not worth reading, seems a bit pointless.
Or you can use one of the available LAN chat programs and create a an ad-hoc network between the phones, or just have a random small wireless router and connect to it and use the program.

Back