Firefox 29 moves into beta with overhauled UI and new customization features

By Justin Kahn
Mar 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Mozilla has now moved Firefox 29 into beta with a new update. The move will allow the company to iron out any final issues before the overhauled browser hits public release. It is said to be Mozilla's biggest redesign of...

Read more
  2. maxijax

maxijax TS Rookie

Already loving the new UI, looks pretty cool, :)
    Mike Steele likes this.
  3. Firefox, so far, has always sucked.
  4. For the love of God. Stop patronizing Internet Explorer.
    Gaara likes this.
  5. You better be trolling.
  6. noname

noname TS Rookie

FLWrd likes this.
  7. Gaara

Gaara TS Enthusiast Posts: 98   +24

Internet Explores is suck big time.
  8. Contrary to what Mozilla (and the sites quoting them) says, customization has been severely crippled, if anyone wants to now about it in full details, it can be read here. Here are some:
    • tabs on bottom removed
    • add-on bar removed
    • small buttons option removed
    • custom toolbars removed
    • many buttons and elements became unmoveable
    ikesmasher and FLWrd like this.
  9. Faster than IE11. Like the new UI.
  10. Mike Steele

Mike Steele TS Enthusiast Posts: 37   +6

Looks awesome, hope it still supports my few add-ons
  11. fl21289

fl21289 TS Booster Posts: 57   +37

Google Chrome is still faster and better period.... Firefox was the best a few years ago, not any longer.
  12. Guest17

Guest17 TS Enthusiast Posts: 92   +37

Both Chrome and IE11 (on W8) have incorporated Flash into the browser itself. Why can't Mozilla do the same? Why does that garbage player have to be installed with its endless and pernicious update cycles? So long as Firefox requires downloading the Flash junk player, it will remain a nothing more than secondary browser.
  13. je29836

je29836 TS Rookie Posts: 26

Why the f are the window borders so wide lol
    FLWrd likes this.
  14. New design, who cares? I'm using Firefox because it isn't Chrome! If I want Chrome, I can get it easily. As said above, Chrome beats Firefox in performance. Firefox' UI is slightly clunky, so someone might have changed that, but the new UI is just an attempt to force badly thought through tablet aesthetics onto the desktop. We don't need wide borders, huge buttons and icon menus, because we're using a mouse. Instead, we like to perform as few clicks as possible, as close together as convenient. It looks as if the programmers were no match for some alpha-design type.
  15. Mbloof

Mbloof TS Rookie Posts: 56   +7

I don't know about you but personally I'd rather not have the buggy FLASH code embedded in my browser and have the CHOICE to be able to have it installed or not. What world do you live in where a embedded 'snapshot' of code is somehow less buggy, does not require updates and gets revised quicker than the native source?

About 1/2 my boxes don't have Flash or Java installed and the ones that do have both BLOCKED or turned off so I can switch them on a as needed/wanted basis.
  16. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

In other words their rapid version acceleration from version 4, is now officially a joke. They could have done this way back then!
  17. sergeybelsky2

sergeybelsky2 TS Rookie

I fail to understand why would anyone use anything else if there is Chrome?
  18. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Free will isn't too hard of a concept to understand :(
  19. cliffordcooley

That makes as much sense as the following question.

I fail to understand why would anyone use anything else if there is IE?
  20. That one's simple: Mac and Linux. And safety. But I'm not really trusting Google, and still fear that they're only developing Chrome to get some kind of vendor lock-in on Google docs, GMail, etc.
    Mike Steele likes this.
  21. cliffordcooley

In that case there is not IE, so that is irrelevant.