Firefox 3: To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

FF 3 has been out for a few weeks now. Has anyone had any problems other than add-ons for older versions not being updated yet?

Seems to me I heard in a few places that the beta version had caused some problems, so I am curious as to how the full release has worked for people?

Are there any real security or functionality disadvantages to staying with the previous vesion (2.0.0.16)?

I also read elsewhere that 3 comes with the Google toolbar - are you given the option to decline that during the install? I sure as Hell don't want any Google software installed on my computer without my consent...

I am using firefox 3 now. its a bit disappointing to know that it does not work with the real player plug-ins for downloading movie clips and music videos especially from the youtube site.

if it suites that you seldom download clips nor music videos then you can install firefox 3 and wait for realplayer to upgrade its plug-ins for compatiblity with firefox, otherwise, stick to version 2.0 until all is well fixed with the compatibility issue.

Been using FF3 since its release. Flawless right here. And all the reports on it being faster is true. You can definitely see the difference in speeds when it comes to page rendering. I don't remember anything google related upon installation tho.

Listen get rid of the 2x series and get 3.01 there is also one for 64-bit but need 64-bit CPU/OS. 3.1 with

Adblock Plus
Adlbock Text Element
FlashBlock
Black Nasa just adds to the black look on the desktop.

IE can't run on none of my system it's BLOCK to run, Firefox 3.1 iw the way to go for now!

FireTune for Firefox well help with faster PCs and slower one.

Been using it for a while with no real issues. However, some of my themes in FF2 have not been updated.

I installed FF3 a couple months ago and it worked great for a while, but then I started having cookie problems with Yahoo Mail. All of a sudden I could not log in to Yahoo...it would simply cycle back to the login screen. I was advised to delete cookies, but they call came right back instantly. I was able to log in to Yahoo mail, but each time I shut down FF3 I would have to do the cookie mess again. Now I cannot even do that...the cookies are replaced too fast.

I have resorted to Safari or (shudder) IE in it's place until I find a fix.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Sounds like there are still some issues to be worked out, so I will hold off upgrading at least for now. But more comments and opinions are certainly welcome. :)

I'm okay with Firefox v3.0.1. The only 'problem' I had was having to change my resolution, which was odd. A couple of add-ons weren't update for v3 yet, but I got others in their place. As far as I know, there were no major issues with v3- certainly nothing like what happened with IE7!

The only thing I find an 'annoyance' is the no redirect message for another page on the same site. Easily overcome by clicking on Allow, but a bit overdone. I don't think of anything as 'issues to work out. It's a good browser- over three years of use for me!'

Does not seem to be much faster on my system. Some pages still load very slowly, and have to use "Retry" button too often. Safari much better in this respect.

I had the same problem for the couple of weeks. I found out that the problem is connected to an ad-on: "NoScript"
Since I deactivated this ad-on the problem was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back