TechSpot

Firefox 3 won't open .exe files from the Download Manager

By greatman05
Dec 29, 2008
  1. Hello. As the title says, I can't seem to open any executable files from the Download Manager. Is there a way to fix this, or will I just have to deal with this as an annoyance in computing?

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Tools> Downloads> right click> Open on the download.

3. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

That doesn't work...I can open the file fine from Windows Explorer, but the Download Manager will not let me open it, no matter how many times I try that...Any other suggestions?

4. Bobbye

Maybe I should ask you: What and where is the 'Download Manager'?

5. greatman05

The default Download Manager that comes with Firefox...In the Tools menu under "Downloads"...

6. Bobbye

The Firefox default location for downloads is the desktop. Unless you have changed this, find the download on the desktop and double click to open. Opening using the Tools> Download screen reqwuires a right click on the download> Open.

7. greatman05

Ok...what I'm trying to say is, there is something in my Firefox configuration that prevents me from opening executables directly from Firefox, and I don't know what it is (right-clicking on the download and clicking Open from the Download Manager has no effect besides the usual confirmation dialog, but I can still open the downloaded executable from wherever I downloaded to)...is there a way for me to fix this short of reinstalling Firefox?

8. Bobbye

Do you understand if you want to open the download from within the Download Manager in Firefox, that you do a right click> open?

I just did a download, then closed the Download Manager. Went to Tools> Downloads> right click> open on what I had just downloaded.

What are you doing differently?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.