TechSpot

Firefox 4 beta 4 due Monday with GPU acceleration, tab sets

By Matthew
Aug 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Mozilla is preparing to unload yet another beta build of Firefox 4. Due this coming Monday, the update adds hardware-accelerated graphics and tab sets, formerly known as tab candy. The browser's built-in graphics acceleration will use Windows' Direct2D, but it won't be enabled by default. Flipping the switch should only take a minute, though:

Read the whole story
  2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Seeing that Firefox is my default web browser and that IE9, Flash, Silverlight and many other software are beginning to use your GPU for acceleration, this maybe the perfect reason to buy a new laptop with a decent GPU solution in the near future.
  3. Tab candy looks pretty sweet. I know I browse most of the same websites every day. Usually I have to close some tabs after a while just so I can tell what I am doing but this will allow me to keep everything open and right there. Not so sure with the sharing tabs stuff though. Hopefully everything will be defaulted to private people don't end up seeing things I don't want them to see.
  4. I can't use firefox or chrome since text is so tiny on 1080p resolution and the only one with permanent zoom is the IE. Sad.

GPU aceleration will make scrolling and flash animations more smooth?
  5. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TechSpot Booster Posts: 133

@Guest 2 - No, I believe GPU acceleration is only available to render Java Scripting which practically most websites include. But it won't make scrolling or flash animations smoother. Flash 10.1 has GPU acceleration in its own right.
  6. Xero07

Xero07 Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

What size monitor are using that the text is too small at 1080p? I fell like most that support it would be large enough that text looks normal.
  7. Try changing the DPI value to help with the text size.
  8. Just use this for firefox... duh!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592/

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.