Firefox error message

By billionairess7
Jul 14, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good Afternoon,
    I cannot access my Linux system to the internet. The error message states that the
    Firefox could not find the server at google.com

Please, please tell me what to do. It would be nice if I could speak to someone. Is there a phone number to reach you?
    Thank you,
  2. No one will want to call and no one will want to give you their number I'm afraid...

Which distribution do you have? Have you tried with any other browser or have you tried pinging anything to ensure your connection is live? Are OS updates downloading ok?
  3. billionairess7

billionairess7 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I'm not sure what pinging is and the only thing that I get is that error message. I'm actually using another pc to communicate with you.
  4. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 742

Try to use another browser and check if it is the same error, also check if your internet connection is good.
  5. billionairess7

billionairess7 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

browser error messages

Yes, I've tried over and over to log on by using other browsers but no success. I have dsl with my phone company and it is suppose to carry up to three rooms. I've spoken with them on several occasions to try and rectify the problem with them but it seems that it's not the dsl problem but the browsers. is there anyway that you can verbally over the phone walk me through this issue?

Billionairess7
  6. Ultiweap

I don't think anyone will give you there number as there are a lot of problem if doing that.

Check if you haven't put a proxy that isn't working now.

For that go to Tools(in firefox)->Options->Advanced->Network->Settings(under connection) and check if you have it on manual proxy or no proxy.

Leave a reply after
  7. Again what OS are you using?
  8. BorisandBailey

BorisandBailey TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 206

I think you were talking to some flunkie at your phone company and that person was just trying to get off the hook. Boris and Bailey meow in agreement. I have never heard of a browser causing an Internet connection to fail.

The problem IS either with the phone line or in the Internet setup in your configurations. You will find that in the Control Panel. Look for Internet Connections (or maybe it will be under Network Connections). You might trying going through the wizard again.

Another possibility: the router (if you use one to connect two or more computers).
  9. Ultiweap

Sometimes you may not have browser working due to a bad proxy configuration. And for blocking an internet connection a spyware or virus can do it easily sometimes blocking it completely but sometimes also it slows the connection completely thus the download and surfing will be very slow.
  10. monton

monton TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 146

What OS are you using? Windows? Linux?
  11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,275   +280

First, let's verify your system can access the Internet at all.

see this post to verify your TCP settings

GRRR; This thread is > a year OLD!!!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.