Firefox gets new logo as Mozilla looks to diversify

onetheycallEric

Staff
The big picture: Mozilla's new logo and branding for its Firefox family of products highlight that Mozilla is evolving beyond the web browser, and is looking to carve out a unique identity. The company is also looking down the road and will begin to offer some sort of premium subscription later in the year. By introducing a subscription, Mozilla would be diversifying its revenue stream, becoming less reliant on search companies.

Almost a year ago, Mozilla announced it was evolving the Firefox brand, and subsequently sought feedback from users on fresh logo designs. If you recall, Mozilla offered two designs: one that was more of a geometric fox head, and the other being more of a circular flame. Now, it seems Mozilla has settled on a new iteration of the latter, as the company debuts its new logo.

Ardent Firefox users may be affronted at the removal of the longstanding fox, but fret not; this new logo will serve as a parent brand to identify the family of Firefox products. The Firefox brand has expanded to include components like Firefox Send, Firefox Monitor, Firefox Lockwise, and of course, the Firefox web browser.

As Mozilla has indicated in the past, it wants to better distinguish its bevy of products. So, the Firefox browser itself will retain the fox logo. Have a look:

The Firefox browser icon has gotten a redesign, too, and Mozilla is rolling out a new typeface as well. With the rebranding, Mozilla took the opportunity to present the four pillars its new brand identity is based on.

• Radical. It’s a radical act to be optimistic about the future of the internet. It’s a radical act to serve others before ourselves. We disrupt the status quo because it’s the right thing to do.
  • Kind. We want what’s best for the internet and for the world. So we lead by example. Build better products. Start conversations, Partner, collaborate, educate and inform. Our empathy extends to everybody.
  • Open. Open-minded. Open-hearted. Open source. An open book. We make transparency and a global perspective integral to our brand, speaking many languages and striving to reflect all vantage points.
  • Opinionated. Our products prove that we are driven by strong convictions. Now we’re giving voice to our point of view. While others can speak only to settings, we ground everything in our ethos.

Mozilla is also preparing to offer a premium subscription inside of Firefox that could offer users access to VPN and cloud storage services. While it's presently unclear the full extent of these, Mozilla CEO Chris Beard stated in an interview with t3n that they plan to roll out in October.

Mozilla claims such services would not compromise the development or reach of existing products, nor would Mozilla begin to charge for any existing Firefox features. "A high-performing, free and private-by-default Firefox browser will continue to be central to our core service offerings,” said Dave Camp, senior VP of Firefox.

So, did Mozilla make the right choice with the logo? Would you pay for a premium version of Firefox?

Permalink to story.

"Ardent Firefox users may be affronted at the removal of the longstanding fox.."

Not really. Firefox abandoned the people who made it great and never looked back. We responded by switching to better forks like Waterfox and Pale Moon or arguably superior engines like Chromium. After encountering about the 50th e-commerce site working correctly on every browser except FF I was basically done with it anyway. All Mozilla has left is chronic wannabism and political correctness. If the day comes that the forks all dry up the only things I'll really miss are Liveclick and easily downloading Youtube videos.

RIP Firefox

"Ardent Firefox users may be affronted at the removal of the longstanding fox.."

Not really. Firefox abandoned the people who made it great and never looked back. We responded by switching to better forks like Waterfox and Pale Moon or arguably superior engines like Chromium. After encountering about the 50th e-commerce site working correctly on every browser except FF I was basically done with it anyway. All Mozilla has left is chronic wannabism and political correctness. If the day comes that the forks all dry up the only things I'll really miss are Liveclick and easily downloading Youtube videos.

RIP Firefox
How is FF politically correct?

"
RIP Firefox

The canned their CEO a few years back because it was found out he gave money to a pro-family organization. If I remember correctly it was a traditional pro-family organization, hence he was considered Homophobic, and removed from his position for it. In any case FF isn't the browser I use anymore.

The canned their CEO a few years back because it was found out he gave money to a pro-family organization. If I remember correctly it was a traditional pro-family organization, hence he was considered Homophobic, and removed from his position for it. In any case FF isn't the browser I use anymore.
That says more about you than Mozilla.

"
RIP Firefox

Incorrect.

" Some employees of Mozilla Foundation (a separate organization from Mozilla Corporation) tweeted calls for his resignation, with reference to his donation of $1,000 to California Proposition 8, which called for the banning of same-sex marriage in California"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Eich

How about let's do research on a subject before spreading misinformation.

"
RIP Firefox

Incorrect.

" Some employees of Mozilla Foundation (a separate organization from Mozilla Corporation) tweeted calls Wfor his resignation, with reference to his donation of $1,000 to California Proposition 8, which called for the banning of same-sex marriage in California"

Well now, THIS is very interesting. It was widely reported that he had been let go. Never saw a single mention about his having voluntarily resigned. Then again, its Wikipedia which is about as reliable as The Onion and nearly as agenda-driven as Mozilla so who knows.

"
RIP Firefox

Incorrect.

" Some employees of Mozilla Foundation (a separate organization from Mozilla Corporation) tweeted calls for his resignation, with reference to his donation of $1,000 to California Proposition 8, which called for the banning of same-sex marriage in California"

how did prop 8 get confused for a "traditional family organization" wtf

Then again, its Wikipedia which is about as reliable as The Onion and nearly as agenda-driven as Mozilla so who knows.
Everyone has an agenda. What we as individuals have to decide is which set of ideals do we agree with and thus which agenda's to side with.

Well now, THIS is very interesting. It was widely reported that he had been let go. Never saw a single mention about his having voluntarily resigned. Then again, its Wikipedia which is about as reliable as The Onion and nearly as agenda-driven as Mozilla so who knows.
weren't there articles on this site when this all happened?

"
RIP Firefox

Homophobia is a greatly and often misused word, suggesting fear ("phobic"). Perhaps a more appropriate phrase might be "LGBT+-adverse", to properly ID those of us who feel "live and let live' has simply gone too far.

RIP Firefox
Thank you for that. I haven't laughed that hard in a while!:laughing: Your browser fanboyism is exceptional.

Yeah, the Firefox browser is doing just fine and isn't going anywhere.
From the text, he's just really mad that he can't download Youtube videos anymore. The thing is, its not because of the lack of support of FF but rather Youtube or Google preventing this sort of feature in the first place lol.

At first, I thought this was a knock-off browser or something, but I like it. Looks clean and less cartoon-ish.

Homophobia is a greatly and often misused word, suggesting fear ("phobic"). Perhaps a more appropriate phrase might be "LGBT+-adverse", to properly ID those of us who feel "live and let live' has simply gone too far.
No, no. Homophobia is appropriate. Don't try to paint your bigotry in a better light.

No, no. Homophobia is appropriate. Don't try to paint your bigotry in a better light.
You need to look up the definition of the word "bigot" in an actual dictionary as that term applies to every person on the planet in one form or another.

Maybe the dictionary guys will update the definition of homophobic to also being anti-homosexual. Unless there's another world for it already. Seems to be the context that's it's used in more of than one having to do with fear

That says more about you than Mozilla.

May I ask how? I don't use firefox for a number of reasons. They don't have much to do with the removal of some CEO. Someone asked about their PCness I gave an example. Seems someone is triggered easily.

Incorrect.

Thanks for doing the research and pulling things from Wikiapedia, it is the trusted source of all information.

How is what I said inaccurate? It was an organization that is against Same-sex Marriage. People of which often state they are traditional marriage. As for proposition 8 doesn't matter it's still an organization. What I said wasn't inaccurate, I wasn't overly specific but I wasn't trying to be. Just answering how Firefox could be viewed as political, which it does that act did show political correctness.

I'm sure the investments from Soros and the Koch brothers will keep Firefox alive until it outlives its usefulness, but anyone seriously looking at a web browser left FF years ago. Their browser is inept, its capabilities out of date, its performance horrible. They have had years to fix it but just continue to screw around instead. They cannot adapt to the modern Web, and it shows with every passing year.

I'm sure the investments from Soros and the Koch brothers will keep Firefox alive until it outlives its usefulness,.

Well, now it becomes crystal clear why some here are posting negatively about FireFox!! It really has nothing to do with FF per se, but a lot to do with their gullibility and love for conspiracy theories!

Go ahead, enlighten us and provide some real links about your hilarious Soros - Firefox assertions!!

Please confine your comments to the topic at hand and leave out the personal digs and comments. Thank you.

RIP Firefox

dude, if it doesn't work in firefox, it sure as hell doesn't work in PaleMoon. Did they allow html5 or do you still need to use flash player on YouTube? :D I ditched that junk long time ago. Security this security that...50% of web didn't load correctly....

Back