Powered by a new, cutting-edge engine, Firefox has doubled its speed from last year. Because the Internet waits for no one.
Lean, mean speed machine
Firefox Quantum’s new engine uses 30% less memory than Chrome, so other programs won’t slow down during browsing. Now that’s a win-win.
Beautiful, intelligent design
Hello, gorgeous! Firefox’s sleek, new look comes loaded with intuitive features like in-browser screenshots and more.
Search across multiple sites, view your top pages and discover new content.
You’re in control of your online information. Use Firefox Private Browsing to block ads with trackers for extra peace of mind… and pages that load up to 44% faster.
Browse for good
Firefox is backed by the non-profit Mozilla, who keeps the Internet healthier through programs that support tech education for girls, create trust around factual news, bring civility to the comments section and more.
Enjoy everything you’ve saved to Firefox while browsing in one, easy place.
Personalize Firefox with your favorite extras that help you do you.
Access your bookmarks, open tabs and passwords across all your devices.
If you’re a regular reader of Firefox release notes (and thank you if you are!) you’re probably aware of just how much we’ve invested in the performance of Firefox Quantum. We launched an entirely new engine in November, made significant improvements to graphics rendering in January, and are continuing to post performance gains and add features with this release. On Firefox for desktop, we’ve improved page load times, added tools to annotate and crop your Firefox Screenshots, and made it easier to arrange your Top Sites on the Firefox Home page. On Firefox for Android, we’ve added support for sites that stream video using the HLS protocol.
As always, this is made possible by Mozillians around the world, including the new Mozillianswho contributed to this release of Firefox.
- Performance enhancements:
- Faster load times for content on the Firefox Home page
- Faster page load times by loading either from the networked cache or the cache on the user’s hard drive (Race Cache With Network)
- Improved graphics rendering using Off-Main-Thread Painting (OMTP) for Mac users (OMTP for Windows and Linux was released in Firefox 58)
- Drag-and-drop to rearrange Top Sites on the Firefox Home page, and customize new windows and tabs in other ways
- Added features for Firefox Screenshots:
- Basic annotation lets the user draw on and highlight saved screenshots
- Recropping to change the viewable area of saved screenshots
- Enhanced WebExtensions API including better support for decentralized protocols and the ability to dynamically register content scripts
- Improved Real-Time Communications (RTC) capabilities.
- Implemented RTP Transceiver to give pages more fine grained control over calls
- Implemented features to support large scale conferences
- Added support for W3C specs for pointer events and improved platform integration with added device support for mouse, pen, and touch screen pointer input
- Added the Ecosia search engine as an option for German Firefox
- Added the Qwant search engine as an option for French Firefox
- Added settings in about:preferences to stop websites from asking to send notifications or access your device’s camera, microphone, and location, while still allowing trusted websites to use these features
- Firefox Private Browsing Mode will remove path information from referrers to prevent cross-site tracking
- Windows 7 users using accessibility services (like the Windows On-Screen Keyboard) may observe browser crashes after the update to Firefox 59. As a workaround, affected users can prevent external apps from triggering accessibility services in Firefox.
Apps similar to Mozilla Firefox 9
Chrome combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier.
Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all users to experience the web. Chromium builds have the most infrastructure for analyzing crashes and reporting bugs.
Custom-built and optimized Firefox browsers for Windows.