Firefox opens unwanted tabs from previous (closed) web pages

Tommygunn

I'm having a problem with Firefox at the moment, and from memory it seems to have happened since I upgraded to v4.
It goes something like this.
I turn the computer on and open up a webpage or two on individual windows i.e. my Yahoo and Hotmail account, BBC News.. whatever. Later, I may have closed these pages down but then I'll go to open up another window and Firefox will open an additional tab on this page, usually of the last, as far as memory serves, of the previous webpage I shut down.

For instance, today, I opened Hotmail. I then signed out and closed the window. I then clicked on, for the sake of argument my IMDB.com icon in Rocketdock, which opened fine but also I got the additional Hotmail/MSN tab alongside it. I didn't get rid of the tab but closed the whole page opening up a new webpage immediately afterwards and the result was that I got two Hotmail/MSN tabs this time.

What's going on here?

Any ideas?

Tom.

Next problem, whether or not related to the previous problem, is that since yesterday (Sunday) I cannot properly access Hotmail, Ebay or Wikipedia.
I can sign in/access these websites and they have basic functionality.

However,
Hotmail will allow me to sign in but will not allow me to open any emails, be they new or old.

Ebay will allow me to sign in and view my current 'watch list' but I can't view individual auctions properly be they searches or within my watch list (the page is all broken up and elongated). I'm also unable to add items to my 'watch list', the button does nothing.

Wikipedia seems to work fine except for the 'predictive' word search.

These websites work fine on Internet Explorer.

Anyone with similar problems/cures.
Tom.

I think you have two problems here -
the first - check that under Tools > Options - General you set the home page setting to show my homepage when FF starts.
the second = go to Tools > Options . Content and check that the 3 options boxes are all ticked.

If all this fails, uninstall FF using something like RevoUninstaller (download from www.majorgeeks,com) which will also remove all settings and history before downloading and installing a fresh copy.

Clean browser history, cache, cookies
Remove unwanted toolbars and add-ons
install malwarebytes and scan your PC...!

Back