Firefox Page Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondie56

I've been getting these page hangs in FF2 for about a month now. I was hoping maybe they would have had an update to fix it by now, but I guess not. I get them on my desktop and my laptop. Anybody else been having this problem?

define HANG... this can mean different things to different people.

Personally, I've been seening something similar, but the cause was the ISP.
The page starts to load but never completes. clicking on RELOAD however
will sometimes be effective.

using pathping $your-isp-dnsaddress will sometimes bring insight --
for me, it is showing 65% packet loss -- Thanks Timewarner :(

That's exactly what I mean by hang, the page starting to load then either doesn't finish or takes forever. It even does it sometimes with reload. It also does not do it in IE7, but I hate using that unless absolutely necessary. I don't know what "pathping $your-isp-dnsaddress" is. My technological expertise is kinda low. Sorry!

Try starting Firefox in Safe Mode (that`s Firefox`s safe mode not Windows safe mode) -

(Start/Programs/Firefox(safe mode),

then check all the boxes,then click "Continue in safe mode".

If you still get the page loading problem in safe mode,then the problem is probably not

with Firefox.If you don`t get the problem, restart Firefox and uncheck those boxes

one by one,until you find the culprit.(To get out of safe mode,just close Firefox and restart it.)

All browsers run better without extra plugins, themes, and extensions (imo).

Po Girl, I will try that later tonight. jobeard, I do have a lot of themes and extensions. Also a lot of bookmarks, would that cause a problem? Thanks for both of your help. I'll check back in later tonight or tomorrow.

Po Girl. I did what you said and lost all my bookmarks. So I decided to uninstall and reinstall. I still get a few page hangs, but not as bad as it was. Is there anyway to get my bookmarks back. I do have them saved in My Documents folder, but I don't know how to get them from there back into FF. Any ideas?

Go to Bookmarks/Organize bookmarks/File/Import/Import from file,then browse
to where it is in My Documents.

Firefox will have backed up the bookmarks in various other places as well See HERE

I don`t know you should still be getting page hangs.

Thanks Po Girl, you are a genius!!! Yes, I'm still getting the page hangs but not as much. I'm going to try to update my ethernet card and see if that helps. I do get those timed out messages and the server is taking too long to respond messages. Maybe part of it is my dsl ISP like jobeard said, but it's funny how it just started a month ago. I've had the same ISP for 9 months with no problems before.

If it is an ISP problem,I don`t know why it would only affect Firefox.

You could always download OPERA if that works OK,then it would definitely pin it down to Firefox.

blondie56 said:
Maybe part of it is my dsl ISP like jobeard said, but it's funny how it just started a month ago. I've had the same ISP for 9 months with no problems before.
I've had adelphia for years, but when Timewarner took
over, it started going down hill with huge timeout problems getting to the DNS.

find your DNS address with ipconfig /all
then use it with pathping $your-dns-address

you'll see numbers like xx/100 and the xx are packet losses, which
will cause timeouts and page not found. losses like 1-5% are
acceptible, but I've been getting 30-65% which is a disaster!

I downloaded Opera and I still get some page hangs. The reinstall of FF is back to hanging really bad again. I tried to put ipconfig /all in the run box and it brings a small black screen up for a second and quickly goes away before I can read anything on it. So I'm still at a loss here.

You have to put cmd in the run box,click OK.

That brings up the command prompt,then type ipconfig /all

As was mentioned :) type ipconfig /all then hit Enter on your keyboard.

You should see "DNS servers" near the bottom,with a number like 205.33.98.206 on the right.

That is the address you type below.

At the new prompt type- pathping 205.33.98.206 - Hit Enter.

There will be a delay of 25 seconds then -

Look for percentage figures under "Lost" heading

0/100 is great
3/100 is too

97/100 says you got a timeout, page not found, or unable to connect
from any application that get's hit this bad!

So do you think the problem is my ISP? I do still get a lot of page hangs and some timed outs with FF. I get very few page not found in IE7. And in Opera I get just a few hangs but no timed outs.

What sort of connection have you got broadband/dial up ?
If it`s dial up get broadband.If it`s broadband download Dan Elwell`s speed test
It will tell you if your getting serious packet loss as well as testing download speeds.
The help section is pretty useful too.
Also get the Fasterfox extension
It might compensate

Unless I missed it, I didn't see what kind of firewall and virus scanner you are using. I've been having the same problem. I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security, and downloaded the new version since my subscription was about to run out. When I started using the new version was when I started having problems with Firefox hanging. I never found any setting that would fix the problem, so I uninstalled it and am now using AVG and Comodo. No more problems. Firefox is also much faster now.

I already have the Fasterfox extension. I use AVG and the Windows firewall. Have used these since the very beginning on all my computers. And I have DSL broadband.

Man your giving us pain with this one :)

Here are my final gambits -

1.Try the laptop on a different connection,with a different ISP,

That would rule out or rule in the ISP/DNS aspect.

2.Er......that`s it.

blondie56 said:
So do you think the problem is my ISP? I do still get a lot of page hangs and some timed outs with FF. I get very few page not found in IE7. And in Opera I get just a few hangs but no timed outs.
Your TCP setup on your system(s) control access to the ISP. It's the ISP that
routes your request of into the World Wide Web. As an example
Code:
$ tracert www.google.com
Tracing route to www.l.google.com [66.102.7.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router [192.168.0.1]
  2    10 ms    20 ms     *     cpe-75-82-128-1.socal.res.rr.com [75.82.128.1]
  3     9 ms     8 ms     *     gig11-13.vntrca1-rtr1.socal.rr.com [76.167.3.77]
  4    11 ms     9 ms     *     76.167.3.149
  5    15 ms    13 ms     *     gig1-17.lsanca3-rtr2.socal.rr.com [76.167.2.4]
  6    16 ms    13 ms     *     prt24.vnnyca2-rtr1.socal.rr.com [76.167.2.15]
  7    19 ms    20 ms     *     tge1-3-0.tustca1-rtr1.socal.rr.com [76.167.2.66]
  8    25 ms    22 ms     *     GIG2-0.LSANCA1-RTR1.socal.rr.com [66.75.161.157]
  9    29 ms    25 ms     *     te-3-2.car2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.71.36.73]
 10    32 ms    35 ms     *     ae-32-56.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.68.102.1.90]
 11    22 ms    33 ms     *     ae-1-100.ebr1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [4.69.132.5]
 12    40 ms    35 ms     *     ae-2.ebr1.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.132.9]
 13    31 ms    30 ms     *     ae-11-51.car1.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.68.123.15]
 14    90 ms    89 ms     *     GOOGLE-INC.car1.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.79.220.90]
 15    82 ms    87 ms     *     66.249.94.226
 16    92 ms    87 ms     *     216.239.49.66
 17   106 ms    88 ms     *     mc-in-f104.google.com [66.102.7.104]
Trace complete.
So my system(s) would be above line 1 which is my router
Line 2 is the ISP GATEWAY and always shows up in the ipconfig /all results.

Now then, EVERYTHING from line 3 on is in the WWW space and your TCP settings will
not have any effect on the outcome whatsoever -- so don't waste your time fussing
with it any more :0

If there are packet losses between line 1 and 2 -- be concerned.
Losses any further down the list are causes for complaints but NOT causes for
changing your hardware/software.

Okay jobeard, I didn't understand a bit of that! But I really want to thank you for trying to help. And Po Girl, you gave it your all. I think I'll just live with it until it makes me crazy, then I'll end up calling my DSL tech support which reads from a script. But at least they are local.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back