Firefox trying to download to strange folder

KittyKat93

The last two days I have had problems trying to download anything from Firefox, Internet Explorer works fine. I've removed Firefox twice and re-downloaded it. I downloaded a Dell Device Download Manger, and that's when this all started. I removed the manager and am still having problems. This is the message that pops up when I try to download "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.
Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location."
I've changed the file properties to accommodate (it was read only) that didn't work, then I tried adding a new file and redirecting Firefox so it downloads there. That didn't work. What's strange is that I don't have it set to download there anyway. (Not a tech, just know more than the average Joe) I've done a system restore, virus scan, msconfig startup, nothing has changed it. (msconfig b/c I was have CPU spikes, that's fixed)

The last two days I have had problems trying to download anything from Firefox, Internet Explorer works fine. I've removed Firefox twice and re-downloaded it. I downloaded a Dell Device Download Manger, and that's when this all started. I removed the manager and am still having problems. This is the message that pops up when I try to download "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.
Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location."
I've changed the file properties to accommodate (it was read only) that didn't work, then I tried adding a new file and redirecting Firefox so it downloads there. That didn't work. What's strange is that I don't have it set to download there anyway. (Not a tech, just know more than the average Joe) I've done a system restore, virus scan, msconfig startup, nothing has changed it. (msconfig b/c I was have CPU spikes, that's fixed)

In Firefox,when you go to Tools>Options>General Tab, what are your settings in the Downloads srea?

settings

My download setting are , Show the Downloads window & Save files to C:\Users\Kathryn\AppData\Local\Temporary (it was simply to the Downloads folder however in trying to correct this I made another folder , didn't work)

My download setting are , Show the Downloads window & Save files to C:\Users\Kathryn\AppData\Local\Temporary (it was simply to the Downloads folder however in trying to correct this I made another folder , didn't work)

Have you tried setting it to download to the desktop, no folder?
These are my settings
fe9fc289c3ff0af142b6d3bead98a923.jpg

I changed the settings to match your and it's still giving me the same message.
I just tried starting Firefox in safe mode and downloading then. Didn't work.
Also tried creating new account on pc and checking there, again didn't work.

I changed the settings to match your and it's still giving me the same message.
I just tried starting Firefox in safe mode and downloading then. Didn't work.

Gosh, I'm sorry it didn't work. Hopefully someone else has an idea. Good luck

I can think of no feasible reason to save downloads to a temp folder, much less an application data temp folder.

Try This:

CHECK: "Show downloads Window"

DO NOT CHECK..."close it when downloads are finished" (You want the downloads window to remain open, as it can be used to, "open file in containing folder". This option can be utilized by selecting the desired file or folder in the downloads window, and right clicking on it.

DO NOT CHECK: : "Always ask me where to save files".

Type "Desktop" into the "Save Files to", text box.

If these settings don't work, there always exists the possibility that the FF installation is corrupt. The download, update cycle is reasonably reliable, although I doubt it's totally reliable.

I've already done just about everything you can think of to try and fix the browser, however, I'm going to say this is no longer a browser problem but an OS, I got the blue screen, so I'm going to wipe the HD and see if that works. I hate Windows. I want a MAC!

Do have another question, doesn't really pertain to FF but is it possible to download Mac OS onto my Dell computer?

I've already done just about everything you can think of to try and fix the browser, however, I'm going to say this is no longer a browser problem but an OS, I got the blue screen, so I'm going to wipe the HD and see if that works. I hate Windows. I want a MAC!

Do have another question, doesn't really pertain to FF but is it possible to download Mac OS onto my Dell computer?

I can't answer your question, but NO OS is perfect.
I think you'd be better off using http://www.revouninstaller.com/ to uninstall Firefox, reboot & then reinstall Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/
& start from there.

In C:/ > documents and settings > application data > owner > Firefox

You can try deleting the "profiles" folder. This is extreme, as it doesn't get replaced with an update or version change. Be sure to back up your bookmarks first, by exporting them to a safe place. You could actually delete the whole Firefox folder, and do a complete un & reinstall.

Firefox is available for all platforms. It comes standard in Linux.

Good luck with your Mac, if that comes to pass.

Okay, had to wipe harddrive with DBAN, wouldnt let me reinstall my OS. Everything seems to be running well now. I haven't reinstalled Firefox yet, so not sure if the problem is still there, but I'm thinking it shouldn't be. I will update when I find out.

Okay, had to wipe harddrive with DBAN, wouldnt let me reinstall my OS. Everything seems to be running well now. I haven't reinstalled Firefox yet, so not sure if the problem is still there, but I'm thinking it shouldn't be. I will update when I find out.

If it didn't let you reinstall your OS, how could it be runnin' well.?

Before I used DBAN it wouldn't let me reinstall. After I used it, it finally let me. Now, since I've reinstalled, everything is running well.

toss the download manager - - no browser requires it and it only adds complications.

I reinstalled everything I absolutely need and use on a regular basis and my computer is running like new, haven't had any problems downloading anything from the internet. So I doubt it was a browser problem to begin with.

I reinstalled everything I absolutely need and use on a regular basis and my computer is running like new, haven't had any problems downloading anything from the internet. So I doubt it was a browser problem to begin with.

Glad to hear that.

Back