TechSpot

Firefox VERY slow, bookmarks missing

By ann_919
Oct 28, 2007
  1. Hi -- I was recently infected with aboutadog/zonebac!B and took steps to get rid of it as outlined here (and by Howard). Since, my machine has been really slow (and I followed the steps outlined on another threat as per Howard's suggestion, too). Now, when I first boot up, Firefox sometimes takes as long as 5min to open.. during which time I can't run taskmgr or anything else. I've also noticed that all of my FF bookmarks are gone now.

At any rate, I've rerun combofix / HJT as attached. I don't have AVG since I removed it as part of the trojan cleanup.

Is it possible I've inadvertantly erased my bookmarks when I ran CCleaner?

...Spyware Doctor keeps finding (and claiming to fix) Trojan-PWS.Tanspy although I guess it's not really correcting the trojan since this is now the 3rd time it's reporting having found it (though, I have rebooted btwn instances).

Thx -- AV

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Your log files are clean.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling FF.

For your bookmarks problem see this post HERE.

Regards Howard :)

3. PBNinja101

PBNinja101 TS Rookie Posts: 72

you are experiencing an infection with a Trojan/Downloader.

When your spyware doctor deletes the Trojan, there will be a file on your PC that would download that trojan again. What i recommend for this is: McAffee Internet Suite, it'll remove the downloader aswell as the trojan.

Simon

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

PBNinja101, I`m really glad you posted, as I`d forgot to address that issue.

The Trojan.PWS.Tanspy will install itself on to an infected computer as a Browser Helper Object (BHO).

I cannot find any bad BHO`s in ann_919`s HJT, or Combofix logs.

Therefore, it`s quite possible that the alert is a false positive.

However, it might be useful if ann_919 gave us the file path and location of the file that Spyware doctor keeps finding.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.