Firefox VERY slow, bookmarks missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -- I was recently infected with aboutadog/zonebac!B and took steps to get rid of it as outlined here (and by Howard). Since, my machine has been really slow (and I followed the steps outlined on another threat as per Howard's suggestion, too). Now, when I first boot up, Firefox sometimes takes as long as 5min to open.. during which time I can't run taskmgr or anything else. I've also noticed that all of my FF bookmarks are gone now.

At any rate, I've rerun combofix / HJT as attached. I don't have AVG since I removed it as part of the trojan cleanup.

Is it possible I've inadvertantly erased my bookmarks when I ran CCleaner?

...Spyware Doctor keeps finding (and claiming to fix) Trojan-PWS.Tanspy although I guess it's not really correcting the trojan since this is now the 3rd time it's reporting having found it (though, I have rebooted btwn instances).

Thx -- AV

you are experiencing an infection with a Trojan/Downloader.

When your spyware doctor deletes the Trojan, there will be a file on your PC that would download that trojan again. What i recommend for this is: McAffee Internet Suite, it'll remove the downloader aswell as the trojan.

Simon

PBNinja101, I`m really glad you posted, as I`d forgot to address that issue.

The Trojan.PWS.Tanspy will install itself on to an infected computer as a Browser Helper Object (BHO).

I cannot find any bad BHO`s in ann_919`s HJT, or Combofix logs.

Therefore, it`s quite possible that the alert is a false positive.

However, it might be useful if ann_919 gave us the file path and location of the file that Spyware doctor keeps finding.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back