Firefox vs IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteve000

I currently had IE6. Downloaded Firefox3 because people said it was better.

So, sometimes I click on my desktop to open a window and I get a message that firefox is already running or I might get a message that it can't find the site I am looking for (which might be as simple as my shortcut to yahoo mail)

Don't have that problem in IE. So what if fox is running, it's as a new window and that should be irrelevant.

WHat issues are out there for Firefox. Should I just go for IE8, or is there a another problem free browser that is better than both.

Attachments

• firefox.JPG
    firefox.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 11
What about reinstalling firefox?

I've never had this issue with Firefox before, wouldn't be so quick to go back to IE, its not very fantastic :)

Have had a play around with Opera, but found a lot of issues with certain scripts. Ended up going back to firefox as it was too much of a pain

I think that it's really down to personal preference.

I would cite security as a concern, but, with Microsoft's improvement of security related to active x etc. and the belief that safe computer habits (e.g. cracks and warez will have nasties in them most of the time, don't click on random links that you are sent) are essential for system security, there isn't much difference these days.

I also like the add ons for Fire Fox.

With IE, I've found quite a few of their add ons cause issues with the browser and can frequently make it crash. I then have to reinstall IE, and sometimes give them the other option of going to firefox (which always resolves their problems)

This is just from working with customer machines (but really, who knows what they get up to) :D

for me, IE678 are slow and for IE7&8, opening multiple tabs from multiple website can trigger errors quickly. (especially for video)

never encounter that with firefox. firefox are way better, since 1.0-3.0
the additional thing worth to note is the firefox add-ons. many are very useful, cant be used in IE.

however, IE7&8 interface are good, since they are user friendly, i decided to made my firefox looks like IE8, so i can use both simultaneously without hassle.

p.s. IE8 are much superior to IE7 in terms of stability.

Another good one (my favourite actually) is Avant browser, which uses much of the internals of IE7, making it very compatible indeed with most sites. It does however, have tabbed browse windows and one of the best-looking interfaces which makes firefox 3 look very clunky indeed.

I'm a dedicated Firefox user- have been for 4 1/2 years. Once you use tabs and custom add-ons, there is no comparison.

IE8 is a fat, bloated browser. I still have IE6 for those rare times when I have to use it.

I checked your image- it shows curezone.com> that is an "Alternative Medicine" site. If it's not what you set for your homepage, you may have malware.

Irrelevant

Curezone is just one of my desktop shortcuts. It doesn't matter what I click, including my shortcut to yahoo. It is a frequent occurrence to get that message and it is becomng increasingly annoying..

would you care to right-click that curezone desktop shortcut, click on properties, and let us know exactly what it says in target, start in and run boxes. In particular, whether or not there are quote signs is important.

If you could add what OS you are running, it will help a lot. You mention IE6 which is 10 years or more out of date. If you happen to have an active desktop, we need to know that, and also have you got single- or double-clicking active on shortcuts, any special desktop themes, visual effects, any special user profiles, do you log on to windows as a user of any type, do you have default or adminstrative rights?

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html might indicate why I have so many questions. Just to illustrate, your title indicates one question: your actual problem is not at all about the differences between IE and Firefox.

IE vs Firefox

would you care to right-click that curezone desktop shortcut, click on properties, and let us know exactly what it says in target, start in and run boxes. In particular, whether or not there are quote signs is important.

No clue what you are referring to. The attached is what I get when I click on properties. Curezone is not relevant, opening the browser is when no other window is open. (But it doesn't happen all the time)

I'm on XP, a home PC, nothing special. I have whatever access rights I need . It's definitely IS an IE vs Firefox problem. I never have and currently do not have this situation with IE6. IE6 works just fine.

Attachments

• Curezone.JPG
    Curezone.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 7
Curezone is just one of my desktop shortcuts. It doesn't matter what I click, including my shortcut to yahoo. It is a frequent occurrence to get that message and it is becomng increasingly annoying..

No clue what you are referring to. The attached is what I get when I click on properties. Curezone is not relevant, opening the browser is when no other window is open. (But it doesn't happen all the time)

What is it exactly that you are trying to do?

I don't know whether this is significant or not, but this particular site isn't part of the WWW. The images show attempts to access a document on the WWW. It shows no shortcut key.

You say that Curezone is irrelevant, yet the two images you leave are both for Curezone.

Please given another example.

Should I just go for IE8, or is there a another problem free browser that is better than both.

Opera 9.64, or the Opera 10 beta. Since you aren't a long time firefox user you won't miss any odd extensions that you use, and Opera has a lot more features 'out of the box'.

Firefox pawnz IE in so many ways. I only use IE on those sites that have yet to get with the programme

So, sometimes I click on my desktop to open a window and I get a message that firefox is already running or

This often happens when your previous firefox session did not end properly and the app is still hanging in the background running even tho its closed. Try going into task manager and closing it there in processes. This will completely eliminate the process so you can reopen firefox again.

I prefer Firefox because of all of hte addons, and yes, if your session did not end properly, firefox will probably still be active in the background. You can close it via the task manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back