Firefox will not open - disappears from Task Manager after a few seconds

brodie

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Everything was working perfectly fine last night. I turn on the computer this morning, try to open firefox - nothing. I click it and there's not even an error message or anything. In the Task manager, the firefox.exe appears in the Processes tab for a couple of seconds then it just disappears. I've tried running the computer in Safe Mode to open it, still nothing. I tried the Firefox Safe Mode option, still won't open. I uninstalled, then reinstalled, that didn't help.

Any suggestions? IE works fine, but I really hate using it.

is firefox the only program misbehaving? i would have you make sure that your extensions are working fine but you've had the same problem in safe mode. did you reboot after the uninstall

Yes, everything else seems to be working fine.

I've just looked in the Event Viewer and every single time I've tried opening firefox, an Error popped up with Event ID: 7 "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."

Sorry, I didn't see your updated post when I responded. No, I didn't reboot after uninstall. I just uninstalled then reinstalled straight away. I'll go try that

Yes, everything else seems to be working fine.

I've just looked in the Event Viewer and every single time I've tried opening firefox, an Error popped up with Event ID: 7 "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."

that's not good backup ur data asap. i know the reboot sounds cheesy but this can be important (not necessarily in your case). run chkdsk /f from the command prompt

Uh oh.... what's it mean? Can I fix it?

I just uninstalled then restarted - still the same. But every time i uninstall or reinstall Firefox, the whole system kind of locks up for a few minutes while it's doing it, I can't do anything, then it rights itself.

I'll run chkdsk/f now.

When I typed chkdsk /f in the command prompt a box came up saying it cannot lock the drive. Cannto run because the volume is in use by another process. Would I like to schedule it to be checked on the next restart. I said yes. Restarted but it didn't do anything.

sorry for the late reply. the chkdsk will say that. choose yes and then when you restart it will take you to a blue screen that will say something like "to skip disk checking press any key". dont skip the disk check. let it tun and see what type of errors you get. I thnk this may be necessary b/c if the system is telling you it see bad blocks it "usually" indicates that portions of the hard drive are not working properly and a hdd is prone to failure. if this is happening you will hear knocking the system will freeze and you will start getting random errors.

back to the issue at hand.....

if it is still misbehaving after that its going to be very difficult to pinpoint since firefox seems to be the only problem. It doesnt sound like anything serious so a simple system restore may fix the issue. (start program accesories system tools system restore). let us know how it goes

Back