TechSpot

Firewall disabled after running Malwarebytes and update to service pack 3

By maddaz
Aug 14, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. i recently installed windows service pack 3 and ran a scan using malwarebytes, the following day i realized my firewall was off an would not restart. After employing the route:
    cp->services->windows firewall/ics = start
    the error message "cannot start ics because required file is missing"

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

And what did a remove and reinstall do for you? You should be able to uninstall and reinstall Service Pack 3... though that will mean re-installing a number of Windows updates.
    Have you noticed any other performance issues.
    You might have to run Windows in repair install, or System restore.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

What antivirus do you use? Is it just an antivirus or a "security suite"?

Point being.... are you sure your machine relies on the Windows firewall? Or might you have a 3rd party firewall installed which would turn off Windows firewall? just a point to double check

4. maddaz

maddaz TS Rookie Topic Starter

@ Lookin Around I use Avg regular antivirus not a suite,so there are no firewalls on the system
    @Raybay the system wont allow a system restore i'll try the reinstallation and let u know what happens

5. ruready2

ruready2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 219

6. maddaz

maddaz TS Rookie Topic Starter

@ ruready2 your suggestion still does that resolve my problem, i dont know if my computer may have contracted a potent malicious program as my anti virus now detects one in the system 32 folder but say files are inaccessible, when a force removal is done

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.