Firmware with quotas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good firmware with quotas (per month per IP) and Qos for my WRT54GL router. Anyone have any suggestions?

Still looking for a good firmware if anyone knows of one?

I know that gargoyle has it (kinda), but it's still a bit buggy. There aren't any recent versions of tomato or DD-WRT with it or something?

Any other less well known firmware?

question: WHY? What is the objective that 'a quota' will achieve?

My ISP likes to cut me off after a certain amount of bandwidth per month, and my roommates like to use up more than their share. Not that it should really matter why....

just trying to understand.

The usual request we see is to proportion online usage between multiple concurrent users.

A true quota (ie: limit) per extended time period (week or month) will be very hard to find imo.
Limiting in this manner is just as illogical as the ISP cutting you off in the first place.

This will be interesting to track your results :)

Haha yea. I could care less about max speeds or anything like that, since I know that QoS would (attempt to) take care of that anyways. It's just exceeding a total amount of bandwidth per month.

Like I said before, I know that Gargoyle has something for it, but it seems a bit buggy still. The guy is pretty good at releasing new updates though, so hopefully it will be sustainable as a firmware in the future. It's pretty close.

I was just wondering if anything like DD-WRT or Tomato had a bandwidth feature.

I can understand your desire, but the implementation would be a nightmare:
Consider
(1)everyone uses the connection every day
vs
(2) everyone uses it only on weekends​
Proportioning (ISP Max Usage) / x-users*30days to fit case (1) would foul up case (2) real good.

Add to that different habits per user (one night owl every night vs a weekend warrior)
and this gets very complicated very quickly.

Sure like to see the solutions you come up with :)

Not following :)

Why not just total the bandwidth used for each static IP and then throttle or block any IP that exceeds a set limit? I'm pretty sure that's what one would do anyways...

Er....and by "bandwidth feature" I meant "quota feature"

so you would allow a user to exhaust all his/her quota on one day and get no service for the remainder of the month? :lol:

best wish

Of course I would :) The limit's going to be 25 gigs, not like 500 megs or anything like that ;) If the person is stupid enough to use up 25 gigs in one day after knowing about the cap then they deserve to be cut off.

Of course, it wouldn't be that much more difficult to enable QoS or something for the user's IP if they exceed the quota instead.

Anyways... Gargoyle (http://www.gargoyle-router.com/) already has it implemented. It's just that it's a bit buggy still, which is why I was looking for another firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back