First build... stress testing

crc9786

Just finished my first build and all hardware is working flawlessly. Is Everest Ultimate's stability test going to give me good data? in case I want to attempt to unlock the 4th core on my AMD processor?

my build:
Cooler Master CM 690 case
Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
ASUS M4A77TD mobo
ASUS GT 240 video card (I know it's not spectacular, but it was 39 bucks at the time)
AMD Athlon II x3, 3.1Ghz
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 2x2GB 1333 memory (really impressed by the way)

Thanks.

Have you overclocked any component in your system or do you just want to run a stress test at stock speeds? In any case there are a large number of tools available, including Everest Ultimate, that should do fine.

In order to unlock the 4th core first download AMD OverDrive Utility and enable Advanced Clock Calibration in the Performance Menu. You'll find further instructions if you Google.

Haven't overclocked anything yet, was gonna attempt unlock first. After unlock or overclock how long should I run stress test?

the best stress test I have found is OCCT It gives you detailed reports following the test including temps,voltages, and psu ripple among others, you can use the standard OCCT test, or the 'linpack' test which is extreme. you can also test your GPU's and PSU as well. you can enable 'error' check on them as well which will stop the test if found and give you a report on which core(s) the error occurred (especially useful if you are stressing an unlocked core.It alsoshows you real time individual cor temps, and will stop the testing if they exceed your preset thermal limit.
It can be had here: http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/

Back