First build, what to buy?

I am looking to build my first computer with a budget under $1000.

The PC will be used for some online gaming (newer Battlefield games and such, but nothing really serious), video editing and uploading to Youtube, editing music to be put into Youtube videos (I am a bit of a musician).

Budget again is under $1000.

I am located in Alabama.

I am willing to buy online, no problem.

Will reuse parts like my keyboard, speakers and mouse like stuff. Might keep my monitor, it's a HP Pavilion f1503 (tried to find a link but I guess they don't sell them anymore) Not sure if I need a new monitor or not, will it make a difference other than size?

I have not purchased anything as of yet.

Will probably have to purchase an operating system so that should be included in the budget, Windows 7 I am guessing?

Do not think I will need any aftermarket cooling system.

I have checked out the buying guides and I think I am somewhere between the Entry-Level Rig and the Enthusiast's PC. I want something that will be fast when uploading/rendering videos and things like that. I also would like to be playing some decent games in the future without major problems. I am not looking for the best graphics out there, just something to get me by and have the game run smoothly.

My experience with building computers is pretty low but I have replaced a few parts on computers over the years and I have watched alot of Youtube videos of computer builds lately. Also have spent alot of time reading the past 50 or so posts on this forum reguarding computer builds and reading here for the past few months.

Thank you all for your time and guidance.

Check out some of the existing threads. There's probably at least one per day looking for build advice, they have good info in them.

A possible option:
Intel Core i7-870 $284
Asus P7P55D-E Pro $179.99
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 $69.99
GTX 460 1GB $220.99
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $69.99
DVD-R burner $30
Power supply Corsair TX650W $89.99
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower $70

Ok, thank you for the reply. I took a look at all of the components, they fit my price range well and I take your word for it that they all are compatible?

Are there any other things I will need like specialty cables and such for hooking the components together. I know most of them come with their own wiring but I have seen some people who had to buy a few cables here and there for some things.

As I said, I am fairly new to this. Is this basically all I need? Is this enough stuff to complete a computer to the point where I just turn it on and load up my operating system?

On the video card, GTA 460 1GB, I searched new egg and I couldn't get a specific item, can someone narrow it down for me to one thing a little better? lol

Will the cables from my old computer more than likely hook up to this thing?

JMMD has a good setup. If you do video editing I recommend LOTS of ram. I do a good bit of photoshop and video editing and the extra ram goes a long way. I have a Phenom II X3 and it serves my purpose, but the upgrade from 4gb to 8gb will help in the type of applications you will be using. I don't know how demanding what you do is, though. I would go with a slightly slower AMD combo with more ram.

AMD phenom II X4 3.4ghz- $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

MSI 870S-G54 AM3- $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130309

CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333- $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145279

I highly recommend the case and power supply suggested by JMMD. nothing wrong with the videocard he suggested, it just wouldn't be my first choice. If you change only the parts I suggested to you it would cost ~$870 without an operating system. JMMD's would cost ~$1020 without an operating system. I recommend windows 7 home premium which can be had for ~$100.

Mine: ~$970 w/ OS
JMMD's: ~$1120 w/ OS

keep in mind, these prices do not include shipping and are rough estimates. There is some wiggle room if you would like another recommendation.

EDIT:
as far as a videocard goes here is what I would pick of JMMD's recommendation
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125345

this would be my choice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150505

I do tend to stick to AMD, i just feel more comfortable with compatibility.

I recommend these parts:
Grand Total = ~$980, not counting rebates.

I have to ask, why the ASRock motherbored and a 2.66ghz i5? surely the 3.4ghz 940 and MSI motherboard would give superior performance? It is also costs about the same.

Are you sure? The i7 940 is more than triple the price of the i5 760, from what I can see.

The ASRock motherboard provides good value for money IMHO; the OP can also go with this board too if he\she decides that spending $10 more is okay.

I'm talking about the Phenomm II X4 940be, as linked to in my previous post.

EDIT:
I Had assumed you read my previous post

yRaz, to be fair you linked to an AMD Phenom II X4 965, not a 940, so Rage's confusion is understandable.

yeah, my bad...should have looked again

anyway, this guy has only has 2 posts and i don't think he is coming back.

Ah, I see; sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regardless, the Phenom II X4 940 doesn't stand up to the i5 750, which also OCs much more easily to 4GHz and still maintains a lower temperature and power envelope compared to the AMD part. It is also the better choice for a system that will be used for video editing etc.

Thank you all for the suggestions, looks like I will have a good computer in the making. I will probably ask a few more questions once the build starts.

Thank you for your time!

Back