First Computer Build (Some Questions and Concerns)

By TwistedKarma7
Dec 13, 2006
  1. I was told by many people that if I wanted a gaming rig, the best way to go about it is to build your own. Anyway, I decided I'd give it a shot after all it can't be too hard... right? So I sat down with two friends who seemed to me knew a lot about computers and I went over parts with them. Here is what we came to as a final list (I just wanted someone to double check everything is compatible, and there is nothing that will cause error):

Motherboard: eVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz

Ram: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W Power Supply 120MM Fan

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

It comes to around $1600 which is a little over what I wanted to spend, but from what my friends tell me.. well worth it. I've never built a PC before so I'm alittle scared to try, after all I wouldn't want to ruin any of these parts. I've opened up my PCs and upgraded some of the parts.. RAM, Video Card.. nothing big. But if something does happen, I have a computer store around the corner that said they would put it together for 150$.
  2. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Save yourself $150 and read this guide:

Also for your computer, It's pretty good, only thing that is abit low is the PSU
    Switch to this one: because the nVidia 8800s do take alot of power pumping out but just to be safe a 700w would be better then 600w ;)

The rest of it is pretty good, If you have any more questions just ask :D
  3. TwistedKarma7

TwistedKarma7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I had one more question. Would I need another fan or some sort of extra cooling system in there?
  4. TimeParadoX

Hmm... Depends, If you plan on playing 24/7 I would get a CPU fan ( they are like $20 on, befor you buy it put it here so I can see if it fits your CPU ) but since you're new to computer I would stick with fans and buy some extras from Bestbuy, If this was my computer I would do Watercooling but it's really difficult and very dangerous because if 1 drops gets out of the pipe... your whole system could mess up
  5. TwistedKarma7

6. TimeParadoX

That would work perfect, just make sure your case / mobo is big enough so it doesnt cover parts like PCI slots or something
  7. TwistedKarma7

Alright so with that CPU Fan, the 700Watt PSU, and all the other parts I have listed I shouldn't run into any problems?
  8. TimeParadoX

Nope, your system will run 100% great!

If you want to spend a few more dollars you could upgrade the CPU but the one you have now is great!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processo

If you upgrade to that you wont ever have to upgrade this system! ( unless DX11 comes out but that wont be for like 20 years :haha: )
  9. TwistedKarma7

If I'm going to upgrade the CPU to that, do you think it's worth just getting the combo with the GeForce 8800GTX 768MB video card?
  10. TimeParadoX

I think 768mb is better then the 680mb you are getting but it's more exspensive

Personaly I run all games perfect with my Gaming system ( in profile ) and I saved about $500 instead of buying a 8800 and got a 7900

But I guess you want to play Crysis or any other DX10 games right? ( Im going to wait till prices for DX10 cards to go down befor upgrading to one )
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.