First gaming PC build

Habylab

Firstly, its good to be back! And, as always, I need help... I'm looking to get a new PC soon, as my frankly shocking dell is useless. My nan just got one that is better than mine, made me realised how much I desperately need a new one.

Basically, I need a computer that can play the latest games with some eyecandy. I don't want a computer that can only just do games, it needs to be able to handle them nicely, on at least medium settings, if possible for my budget. My budget is around £400. I have seen a good computer here that seems to be able to do the job, but wondering If i can either get something cheaper, nearer £300 or improve it. I definitely need a new wireless card, wireless N. I am all right for Mouse, and will be getting a decent keyboard soonish. I'm going to be honest, I have a slightly dodgy copy of Windows 7 until I get a new computer, so looking for cheap copy of ultimate.

So, thanks for looking, and hope you can help!

Thanks,
Harry

So you're looking to buy a system from one of the major respected companies or build one yourself. You kind of lost me.

For £400 you won't really have a PC that will handle the most recent games in all their glory. That system you linked to has a GT 430 GPU that is mainly intended for HTPC users. If you could bump up your budget to around £500 then we could put in a few suggestions.

Ok sure, I can work around £500. Thanks for looking.

And yeah, I was just wondering whether I could beat it for that price, or just go with it.

If you're wanting to save some money ditch ultimate and just run premium its half the price (at least where i am) and theres little difference. As for the GPU hes right if you want to play games on medium look for a GTX 460 its the best value card around at the moment.

Does that budget include the OS/peripherals/monitor?

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
SeaSonic SS-650HT 650W ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

Total: $660 USD, not including shipping or promo codes.
That leaves you some room to get a case; let me know if that's out of budget, or if you need to purchase any of the aforementioned extras.

EDIT:
I definitely need a new wireless card, wireless N. I am all right for Mouse, and will be getting a decent keyboard soonish. I'm going to be honest, I have a slightly dodgy copy of Windows 7 until I get a new computer, so looking for cheap copy of ultimate.
Oh sorry, didn't see that.

In that case...

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
SeaSonic SS-650HT 650W ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX

Total: $748 USD.
Again, doesn't include a case or shipping/mail in rebates.
Let me know if that's over-budget.
You'll also want a PCI wireless adapter. Make sure it's PCI! USB dongles aren't very good.
Wow, windows is really expensive. If you can get your hands on a a student discount or settle for home edition, that would be really nice.

That list looks very, very nice. Note that I do not need WIndows 7, I have that covered. I would also need a hell of a lot of help of putting this all together. I was just wondering whether its worth trying to put this all together, or pay slightly extra for something pre-built? Also, I would need a DVD drive, and maybe your opinion ona decent keyboard?

I guess this is a comparable machine? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-210-OK

I would also buy a monitor some where down the line, maybe not straight away, but I do need one.Probably around £100 budget for that, but had seen some improved ones at £120.
Thanks a lot for your opinions again!

Just out of interest, how much could I get for £400? As long as they are easily upgradeable, I may have to go that route.

You can actually buy the cheaper phenom x2 555BE and unlock it to become the 955. Search it on google,all you need is a motherboard with an AMD 790+ chipset and it could save you some cash.

You can actually buy the cheaper phenom x2 555BE and unlock it to become the 955. Search it on google,all you need is a motherboard with an AMD 790+ chipset and it could save you some cash.
Not...only if you're super lucky.
Anyway, I believe Ritwik7's motherboard supports core unlocking.

Back