TechSpot

First gaming PC build

By Habylab
Oct 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Firstly, its good to be back! And, as always, I need help... I'm looking to get a new PC soon, as my frankly shocking dell is useless. My nan just got one that is better than mine, made me realised how much I desperately need a new one.

Basically, I need a computer that can play the latest games with some eyecandy. I don't want a computer that can only just do games, it needs to be able to handle them nicely, on at least medium settings, if possible for my budget. My budget is around £400. I have seen a good computer here that seems to be able to do the job, but wondering If i can either get something cheaper, nearer £300 or improve it. I definitely need a new wireless card, wireless N. I am all right for Mouse, and will be getting a decent keyboard soonish. I'm going to be honest, I have a slightly dodgy copy of Windows 7 until I get a new computer, so looking for cheap copy of ultimate.

So, thanks for looking, and hope you can help!

Thanks,
    Harry

2. Habylab

Habylab TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 263

And this is why I left... Any help?

3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

So you're looking to buy a system from one of the major respected companies or build one yourself. You kind of lost me.

4. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

For £400 you won't really have a PC that will handle the most recent games in all their glory. That system you linked to has a GT 430 GPU that is mainly intended for HTPC users. If you could bump up your budget to around £500 then we could put in a few suggestions.

5. Habylab

Ok sure, I can work around £500. Thanks for looking.

And yeah, I was just wondering whether I could beat it for that price, or just go with it.

6. f111

f111 TS Rookie Posts: 23

If you're wanting to save some money ditch ultimate and just run premium its half the price (at least where i am) and theres little difference. As for the GPU hes right if you want to play games on medium look for a GTX 460 its the best value card around at the moment.

7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,430   +143

Does that budget include the OS/peripherals/monitor?

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
    SeaSonic SS-650HT 650W ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

Total: $660 USD, not including shipping or promo codes.
    That leaves you some room to get a case; let me know if that's out of budget, or if you need to purchase any of the aforementioned extras.

EDIT:
    Oh sorry, didn't see that.

In that case...

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
    ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
    SeaSonic SS-650HT 650W ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX

Total: $748 USD.
    Again, doesn't include a case or shipping/mail in rebates.
    Let me know if that's over-budget.
    You'll also want a PCI wireless adapter. Make sure it's PCI! USB dongles aren't very good.
    Wow, windows is really expensive. If you can get your hands on a a student discount or settle for home edition, that would be really nice.

8. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

9. Habylab

That list looks very, very nice. Note that I do not need WIndows 7, I have that covered. I would also need a hell of a lot of help of putting this all together. I was just wondering whether its worth trying to put this all together, or pay slightly extra for something pre-built? Also, I would need a DVD drive, and maybe your opinion ona decent keyboard?

I guess this is a comparable machine? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-210-OK

I would also buy a monitor some where down the line, maybe not straight away, but I do need one.Probably around £100 budget for that, but had seen some improved ones at £120.
    Thanks a lot for your opinions again!

10. hellokitty[hk]

11. Habylab

Yeah, I meant in terms of the money. So thats a great build, the best I can find for sure. Just needs a DVD drive, unless I could take my current one out, but not sure if its worth it.

12. Habylab

Just out of interest, how much could I get for £400? As long as they are easily upgradeable, I may have to go that route.

13. f111

f111 TS Rookie Posts: 23

You can actually buy the cheaper phenom x2 555BE and unlock it to become the 955. Search it on google,all you need is a motherboard with an AMD 790+ chipset and it could save you some cash.

14. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +142

if you happen to be in college you can get win7 for like 30$

15. hellokitty[hk]

Not...only if you're super lucky.
    Anyway, I believe Ritwik7's motherboard supports core unlocking.