First mobile Nehalem CPUs out in late September?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Having outshined the competition with its Core i7 desktop processors, Intel is finally ready to bring the Nehalem microarchitecture to notebooks. According to unnamed moles cited by DigiTimes, come the end of September or the beginning of October, three new quad-core chips for laptops fabbed at 45nm will hit the market.

The CPUs in question are Clarksfield parts, debuting presumably as Core i7, and will be available with clock speeds of 2GHz, 1.73GHz and 1.6GHz. Although all three are clocked significantly lower than some existing Core 2 Quad parts, these should be much more efficient thanks to Nehalem’s built-in and lower-latency memory controller and HyperThreading support. Intel also plans to announce a couple of Celeron parts, the SU2300 and Celeron 743, for ultra-thin notebooks by the end of September.

Before Nehalem-based chips arrive on notebooks, however, the company will be releasing a number of Xeon processors and matching chipsets for servers in August followed by the much-awaited Lynnfield CPUs and P55 chipsets sometime between September 8 and 11.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if these will have an 8MB cache like the desktop chips? Because that would be awsome in a laptop.

mrturtle said:
I wonder if these will have an 8MB cache like the desktop chips? Because that would be awsome in a laptop.

Aman to that, but again the cache is what makes the manufacturing process more expensive, same reason why amd has lower numbers in this department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back