First time builder needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPSer9110

I just rebuilt an desktop and put together a new desktop. This is the following info on 'em:

Rebuilt system: An ECS MoBo (L4VXA2)
P4 2.4ghz
Intel stock CPU fan
PQI 2gb PC2700 RAM
Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB IDE Hard Drive
Unknown type Nvidia Video Card
Unknown type Sound Card (PHILIPS PSC 60X Series)

I got this off someone so I can learn on...

That's all I can think off hand

Newly Built System: An ASUS MoBo (Formula Maximus)
Quad Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0Ghz
ASUS V60 CPU fan
8gb PC8500 RAM CORSAIR Dominator
2 Western Digital 150gb Raptor Hard Drives
MSI 3870 x2 Video Card

Okay now that's out of the way. On the rebuilt system I have only the Windows XP PRO 32-BIT CD. What do I need to get the system working?

Okay, on the new system I have the Windows XP PRO 64-BIT (Student Media/Work At Home Media), Maximus Series and the MSI Driver Cd's. What else do I need to get it going?

If you need anymore info, please ask for it. I always could be missing something. I very new at this. I am a first time builder.

Also, what do I load first?

I don't understand what point you are at. To get the system working that is. Is it already build? Do you need help on how to build it?

Do you mean what other hardware do you need? A power supply, and a computer case (For the power button)

To get it working make sure all is correctly hooked up and is able to turn on. Go into the BIO's and make sure its all good then save and exit. Unless you already have an OS on the hard drive you will need to reformat your hard drive, so back into BIO's make sure the boot priority is through a CD first, save and exit. Insert the XP CD and reboot, when prompted to boot from a CD hit the "Any" key and follow through.

When you say, "get the system working" and "get it going," could you be more specific? What problem are you having exactly?

I have put it all together and don't know what cd to put in first. On the rebuilt system, all it had when I picked it up was the mobo, cpu, sound and video cards.

On the new system, it's from the ground up.

So, I guess on the rebuilt system i'll need drivers. All I have is the windows xp pro cd.

On the new system I have the xp, mobo, and video card driver cd's.

What do I do first?

You should be able to enter the BIOS upon starting the PC for the first time (and thereafter). You can change the booting order so your CD drive is first in the boot order. Save and exit.

The first thing you install is Windows, then I usually install the motherboard drivers and the rest of the drivers (video, audio, etc.)

BTW, you shouldn't post the same question more than once in these forums. It will create confusion when members try to answer the different ones.

Since you are using SATA hard drives in your new build you might have to install SATA/RAID drivers during your Windows install. Just in case, you should prepare for that. If your motherboard didn't come with the driver floppy disk, you can make one from the motherboard driver CD. If you don't have a floppy drive, you can install the SATA drivers by making a slipstream CD. You can google for the procedure.

If your old PC came with a floppy drive, you can use that to install the SATA/RAID drivers.

Oh man. I think I must of done something wrong... I turned it on and the led came on the front but no video. The fans all work even the fan with the leds. Oh man!

I have this thing that gives codes out. It's called "LCD Poster", the code it's giving me is "CHIPINIT" = EARLY CHIPSET INITALIZATION:
-DISABLE SHADOW RAM
-DISABLE L2 CACHE (SOCKET 7 OR BELOW)
-PROGRAM BASIC CHIPSET REGISTERS

Also, the fan w/ the leds isn't working too.

You need to isolate the problem area. Try removing all the RAM modules except one. Remove or disconnect the second hard drive.

Did you plug in the extra power connectors to the graphics card? There should be two, a six pin and an eight pin connector.

Are all the motherboard power connectors plugged in?

By the way, what brand and model power supply are you using?

It's an Antec 550 watt truepower trio (tp3-550). I tried hooking up the 8 pin it would go in. The 6 pin is just fine. As far as mobo connectors, i think so. I put the 24 pin in and that's it. On the rebuilt it's working great. I am loading xp right now. But, on that mobo I put the 20 or 24 pin on the mobo and an 4 pin too. Now on the new one I didn't do that. I see a place for an 4 or 8 pin.

On the video card there is no clear instructions. All it stated was to put it in the pci slot and go....

It definitely won't start without the 4 pin 12V motherboard connector hooked up. That helps power the CPU.

You'll also have to connect the other power connector on the graphics card. The graphics card came with an adapter didn't it?

Anyway, it needs to be all hooked up to the power supply or it won't fire up.

BTW, congratulations on getting the rebuilt PC working. Fun isn't it?

Edit: I looked up your power supply and the 8 pin connector that comes with the Antec power supply is for the motherboard not the graphics card. Not yours but some motherboards require that connector. Your PSU should have come with two 6 pin PCI-E connectors. You can use at least one of those on the graphics card. If the graphics card came with an 8 pin adapter, use that in addition to the 6 pin that came with the power supply. Whatever you do, both connectors on the graphics card need to be powered.

As an aside, when choosing a power supply for a new system, one of the things I look for is one that has all the connectors my system will require without resorting to adapters (if possible). These days they aren't all the same with respect to type and number of connectors even among similar wattage units.

Yeah it is... That's why said to myself " I can do this" and then D'oh! LOL

Also, I was just reading the mobo manual and saw that my mobo may take the 8 pin.

If it has the connector, then it should be connected to the power supply. Do you have the Special Edition? If so, it does have the 8 pin connector. The regular edition only has the 4 pin. That's the one I was using as a reference earlier.

Maybe the only problem you are having with the new PC is not hooking up all the power connections. If so, that's easy to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back