TechSpot

First time building a computer, any pointers is much appreciated

By Suruyaa
Sep 13, 2009
  1. Hello all,

I'm debating between an AMD or Intel build. Here's a list of the specs of each build.

Intel Build:

HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - 94.99
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU 650TX 650W – 99.99
    MOBO: ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard – 169.99
    CPU+RAM (Combo Deal): Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 130W Quad-Core Processor + CORSAIR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) – 399.98
    GPU+OS: MSI GeForce GTX 275 + Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit –324.98
    Case: Antec 900 (I read it comes with great cooling) - 99.99

Total: ~1200
    Grand Total: (Including Monitor, tax, shipping, etc...) ~1800

AMD Build:

HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - 94.99
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU 650TX 650W – 99.99
    MOBO + CPU (Combo Deal): AMD Phenom II X4 965 + MSi 790FX-GD70 AM3 - 384.99
    RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (2x3GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) – 124.99
    GPU+OS: - 294.99
    Case: Antec 900 - 99.99

Total: ~1100
    Grand Total: ~1700

I'm looking for a gaming PC but can also multitask as well, as I use current computer (laptop) often to do work. Unfortunately, my laptop is 3 years old and has slowed down quite a lot. I'm also looking for shave off some money off the Grand Totals above with suggestions. I guess some questions that I would like to ask are:

CPU: I would like the keep the i7 core on the intel build. Is the Phenom II X4 965 worth the price or should I go with the 955?

GPU:Is the GTX 275 much better than 4890? Would the GTX 275 be more compatible with the Intel or AMD?

PSU + HDD: Is 640W sufficient for the builds? Is 1TB going overboard?

I have no experience with OC'ing. Does OC'ing damage your parts to a great extent? I'd prefer not to OC at all but wouldn't mind tweaking a bit for a faster speed.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

No, but the Core i5 with a P55 chipset will be WELL worth the money, more so than your choices.

Everything else if good. Some people might suggest a full sized case, though thats not really necessary.

Their about the same. For a build priced this high, I would go with a high quality brand like XFX or Evga for NVidia, and XFX, Saphire, or Visiontec for ATI.

Its good, the corsair 650 is a great powersupply.

And I believe some version of Vista 64 offers free upgrade to Windows 7 64, keep that in mind for later.

3. Suruyaa

Suruyaa TS Rookie Topic Starter

If I go with the i5 core, then I would need a different MOBO correct? Since the i5 core has a different socket type? Or is the LGA 1156 socket type compatible with the 1366 socket type?

4. hellokitty[hk]

5. Suruyaa

Thanks! Would a Vista-compatible sound card carry over to Windows 7?

6. hellokitty[hk]

Yeah probably, but I don't know how many sound card manufactures have official Windows 7 support. Of course, that will change when Windows 7 comes out, you get the option of a free upgrade.

What sound card are you thinking?

7. Suruyaa

Well, the Antec 900 doesn't have an onboard sound card so the cards I looked at that were compatible and what i think are decent are:

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer - 94.99
    Creative Audigy SE 7.1 - 34.99 (I'm leaning towards this though I'd have to download a driver from creative)
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 - 59.99

8. hellokitty[hk]

Creative drivers don't like Vista...thats all I can tell you.

Cases don't have sound, integrated sound comes from the motherboard, and any P55 motherboard will have integrated sound.

9. Suruyaa

Ahh, so there is no need to get a sound card then?

10. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

The i5 build would be great at a price / performance ratio.

No need to get a sound card for now. Especially if you get the Gigabyte board HK mentioned. It has an optical output, so if you want you may also connect your PC to a high fidelity receiver.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.