TechSpot

First time getting a gaming computer

By jbfansa
Apr 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone,
    So I have only bought regular computers and I was thinking about buying a gaming laptop, or possibly pc, but I dont know what I need. Some help would be very appreciated. Here is what I want the computer for, now dont laugh at me, or at least just chuckle to yourself while calling me a noob, or whatever the lingo is. But I wanted the computer for my Sims games. Hey, you guys have your minecraft or whatever, I have my Sims, leave me alone. So what kind of computer would I need. Cuz I will eventually upload all expansion packs and I am tired of my regular pc running slow. So please help, and if buying a regular laptop with some kind of memory can suffice than please let me know.
    Thanks!

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

Well, Sims games arent demanding at all. They use pretty ancient engines. You dont even need a GPU for that, you can easily get a PC with integrated graphics for about 500 USD. What is your budget? You want a laptop right? And is the Sims all you will be playing?

3. jbfansa

jbfansa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, I want a laptop since I have very limited room. Yes, basically sims, and perhaps other games llike it, like sim city, roller coaster tycoon etc. I don't have a budget, im saving up for it, I guess 2000 USD is pushing it. I just don't want to have to worry about space being an issue on the laptop, or slow speed. I use windows 7 now on a desktop but I share the computer so I don't really try any other games because Im afraid I'll use up all the hard drive space.

4. Jad Chaar

2000USD is for a laptop that can play Battlefield 3 and such. I would recommend SAGER laptops. http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=products. On the bottom left of the page, you can filter by price, screensize, etc. What screen size would you want? Also, Intel will be releasing new chips in a month, so can you wait till then?

5. jbfansa

jbfansa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, thanks. Screen doesn't matter, just not tiny, right, lol. actually I probably wont have the money a long while so yeah I can wait.

6. Jad Chaar

Sounds good. I think Sager is your best choice. I will custimize it for you since I dont want you to overpay for computer going to play Sims. I will build it so that it can take future games.